You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-25 11:04:28

mythus
Website

[SOLVED] JWM crashes back to display manager

Greetings,

Recently I have built myself a modern pc, and for fun, I wanted to first test out it's power with KDE SC 4.4 (which I love btw- don't get me wrong. I am not a minimilist... I just love power and control over my pc and the ability to customize every piece of it.,... yeah I have issues).

Anyways, after playing with it for some time, I wanted to use JWM again. What can I say, no other WM has it matched in all it can do IMO, except of course FVWM, which is able to do anything as long as you know how to do it. JWM though is a bit simpler to handle, and a heck of a light lighter, being perhaps the lightest stacking/floating wm.

So I installed it per usual course, set up a basic jwmrc file, and added it to KDM. I log into it, and it works fine. I decide to pull up firefox so that I can read up some more on the jwmrc config stuff... and it crashes back out to KDM.

Ok, fine, I log back in, run exec firefox in console, JWM crashes out again. Yay....

I log back in, run Thunar. Crash.

I log back in, run pcmanfm. I go and run amarok. Crash.

I log back in. Run pcmanfm. Explore several folders. Eventual.... crash.

This happens even if I disable kdm and use the xinitrc method. It crashes me back out but at least I get a glimpse of an xorg message about a segfault.

Sooooo that leads me to think that perhaps xorg is the culprit. I was running the latest release of it. So I decide to revert to the older xorg. Since this is a new build, I didn't have it in my pacman cache, but luckily there was a thread that had it linked in it, the one talking about new xorg hating fluxbox. I reboot. I log back into JWM. I run firefox. Guess what happens next..... yup.... CRASH.

As you can imagine, I am now about bald ater pulling my hair out over this frustrating issue. KDE works wonderfully fine. pekWM works fine. But JWM.... the wm that I want to play with and use, the one that I was using on a daily basis on my older pc.... it won't work.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, help, etc that can help e to solve this? I have searched but not found anything that works yet. Thanks much in advance for your help.

Last edited by mythus (2010-03-26 12:06:29)

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#2 2010-03-25 12:03:47

Mektub

Re: [SOLVED] JWM crashes back to display manager

mythus,

this is a kind of "me too", which will not help you, but anyways..

I have been using icewm for ages, but some days ago started experimenting with JWM for the fun of it and thinking to use it on my eeepc.

On my desktop running ARCH i686 I have exactly the same crash problems as you, with GDM or xinitrc, doesn't matter.

On my eeepc also running ARCH i686 it doesn't crash (!). I didn't test that much, but if I find some clues I will report
on it.

Mektub

PS: some .jwmrc on both computers.

Last edited by Mektub (2010-03-25 12:04:53)

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#3 2010-03-25 18:31:39

mythus
Website

I wonder, could this be a nvidia issue? Mektub, are you also using the latest nvidia drivers?

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#4 2010-03-25 19:15:25

Mektub

mythus,

yes, last stable ones:

nvidia 190.53-1
nvidia-utils 190.53-1

Mektub

#5 2010-03-25 19:31:01

Mektub

mythus,

just tested on ARCH running on VirtualBox inside my desktop PC.

No crashes.

Even though the PC has a Nvidia, VB emulates some other kind of graphic adapter.

You must be right, it has to do with nvidia.

Mektub

#6 2010-03-25 19:32:25

Mektub

mythus,

just tested on ARCH running on VirtualBox inside my desktop PC.

No crashes.

Even though the PC has a Nvidia, VB emulates some other kind of graphic adapter.

You must be right, it has to do with nvidia.

Mektub

#7 2010-03-25 20:08:15

mythus
Website

Yes, I think this is right.

However it must only be the lastest nvidia drivers since my older computer used nvidia-96xx, and JWM works just fine there.  I tried scouring through xorg.conf, commenting out the various tweaks for comopsiting and still have the crashes. Therefore I think that the only way to fix this is to a.) use another driver, probably the nv driver... or b.) perhaps try and roll back to an earlier current nvidia driver.

Unless of course someone else has another idea, I think I am going to test this idea out and install the nv driver and see how it goes with JWM.

I know what some of you may be thinking, 'why go through all of this just for JWM when so many other wm's and de's exist?" WHy, because I am stubborn as heck, that is why. I want to use JWM and it aggrivates me that it is not working like it should, therefore I will continue to try out things to see where the issue is and see if it can't be solved.

#8 2010-03-25 21:57:48

mythus
Website

Greetings,

I just want to report that after switching to the nv driver, JWM works fine. No crashes. So it looks like the latests nvidia driver is to blame.

It doesn't bother me really, JWM doesn't do any compositing, and it is fast as heck, and such fun to customize (for me at least). *shrugs*

#9 2010-03-26 01:08:01

Mektub

mythus wrote:

Greetings,

I just want to report that after switching to the nv driver, JWM works fine. No crashes. So it looks like the latests nvidia driver is to blame.

It doesn't bother me really, JWM doesn't do any compositing, and it is fast as heck, and such fun to customize (for me at least). *shrugs*

Nice.

I will try nv on my desktop pc just for the sake of it, because my eeepc 901 doesn't have the problem since
it does not have a nvidia.

I akso like to configure it . By the way, icewm also.

Mektub

#10 2010-03-26 12:06:07

mythus
Website

I've been using JWM flawlessly since I changed the driver to nv. Therefore I will go ahead and mark this "solved", despite the fact that the real way to fix this problem would be to fix either JWM to work with the latest nvidia driver or nvidia driver to work with JWM.

#11 2010-04-02 15:58:34

Mektub

The crashes subsist with the latest nvidia driver, nvidia 195.36.15-1

Mektub

#12 2010-04-22 12:53:15

Paradox Uncreated

Downloading and installing the latest version from SVN, fixes it.

#13 2010-04-22 13:39:26

Mektub

Paradox Uncreated wrote:

Downloading and installing the latest version from SVN, fixes it.

I suppose you are referring to aur/jwm 490-1. There is a checksum error while installing.

To whom it may concern:

Was: f22436f70a237f528d28ab793ded424b
Should be: bb7209bb3311580e8edc24f7d5efbf35

Just installed it, will test on first opportunity.

Many thanks for the information.

Mektub

#14 2011-05-25 21:42:04

Mr. Swillis

Old thread, I know, but just in case anyone is still having this issue (mid 2011 now), I found that the same issue exists with both jwm and icewm on the 270.41.19-1 nvidia driver as well as the 173xx driver. Uninstalling jwm and installing jwm-flashfixed from the AUR (need to edit the md5sum) did the trick. Got rounded window corners out of the deal too, AND full screen flash is fixed. Awesome.

I haven't found any other fix for icewm aside from the previously mentioned solutions using alternate video drivers. I was mainly concerned with jwm though, so I haven't really cracked into icewm yet.

- Swill

Last edited by Mr. Swillis (2011-05-25 22:05:46)

And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.

#15 2011-06-01 21:28:23

Mr. Swillis

Just tested jwm-flashfixed with newer JWM snapshots and it totally works. See my comments here: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=38204

- Swill

And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.

Board footer