You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-22 21:11:21

Dreameen

alsamixer with and without hotplug

I followed the Alsa setup wiki and everything seemed to be working perfectly until I disabled hotplug in my rc.conf. I've added the modules for my soundcard to 'MODULES' section in rc.conf and they are loading just fine ('lsmod' shows all sound modules loaded ). The problem is that alsamixer cannot restore my volumes at boot anymore. It says   
sth like 'no soundcard found'(rubbish). I can bring the volumes up with alsamixer after login but that's not the case... So, i'm little confused here, do I really have to use hotplug or is there sth wrong with the 'alsamixer' script from the wiki? My daemons line looks like this:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !hotplug !pcmcia network wireless !netfs crond atd !gdm cups alsamixer) 

My sound module is snd-intel8x0 (Nforce2 chipset). Any help would be appreciated.

#2 2005-01-24 10:52:22

jerem

Re: alsamixer with and without hotplug

alsamixer is NOT a daemon, it is just a program you run once, you set volumes in and then you exit it.

To have the volume set at a particular level on boot, do as root :

alsamixer (set you volume)
alsactl store
echo "alsactl restore" >> /etc/rc.local

#3 2005-01-26 14:47:38

Dreameen

Re: alsamixer with and without hotplug

Read the wiki man, there is a nice script that restores and saves volumes, you can throw into /etc/rc.d/ and load as a deamon by adding it to daemons array in rc.conf. kinda nice.

Anyway, thx for the tip. Maybe rc.local will do the trick. 8)

Board footer