You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-25 14:17:48

Himari

[SOLVED] GNOME crashes (probably after full update)

Hi all,

Today I did a full update with "pacman -Syu" and thus, some new packages were updated. However, after the update and reboot (by myself, not requested by the system as I saw that the kernel is updated - to 2.6.32.19 - as well) then GNOME crashes everytime I do "startx" (I don't use any login manager like GDM or SLiM), neither "xinit" nor "xinit /usr/bin/gnome-session" works too.

The problem is that I still see the mouse cursor and sometimes, the wallpaper as well, then GNOME crashed and I was returned to the command line with lots of messages about gnome-panel disconnected from the bus, several messages about gnome-session and /usr/lib/libdevkit, /usr/lib/libdbus, gnome-screensaver etc.

Sorry for didn't provide enough details, but the laptop with Arch64 on it isn't here with me at the moment so I just recall and describe the errors here.

Please give me your advice about this case

Thank you

EDIT: Fyi, I checked the wiki about GNOME here, but I couldn't find any "session" in ~/.gnome2/ in order to "mv ~/.gnome2/session ~/.gnome2/session.old" to refresh the session.
I also did "for d in .gnome* .gconf*; do mv "$d" "$d.old"; done" already, but problem still persists

Last edited by Himari (2010-03-26 07:23:15)

#2 2010-03-25 16:09:17

Odysseus

Re: [SOLVED] GNOME crashes (probably after full update)

What packages were upgraded? Look for them in /var/log/pacman.log

I'm the type to fling myself headlong through the magical wardrobe, and then incinerate the ornate mahogany portal behind me with a Molotov cocktail.

#3 2010-03-25 16:12:58

wonder
Developer
Website

we sure you got dbus-core/dbus 1.2.24

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#4 2010-03-26 07:22:50

Himari

Thanks wonder, another "pacman -Syu" showed that it updated dbus to 1.2.24 and after a reboot, GNOME is up and running again smile

Cheers

Board footer