You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-22 23:12:55

nacnud

A good, stable word processor?

I'm looking for suggestions on a good word processor.  My frustration with OOo Writer increases each time it slows down to a crawl when I'm typing.  It seems to happen randomly, and it has happened on different boxes with different distros and different versions of OOo.  Running top while this happens only shows that soffice suddenly hogs up all cpu power when I type/delete.  I can't figure it out--is it me?!

I've tried Abiword a couple of times, but it crashes (closes) when I try to insert text.  Running it from a terminal only gives the output "aborted."

Kwriter seems ok, but it renders the my extant document in a strange way--hard to look at.

I spend most of the day using word processors, and I deal with a lot of big documents, so I'm looking for something that won't give me so much trouble.

Is there anything else out there?

#2 2005-01-22 23:45:18

shadowhand
Website

Re: A good, stable word processor?

Lyx. Everyone that learns to use it properly swears to never use anything else ever again. I think there's a QT frontend too.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#3 2005-01-22 23:45:26

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I haven't had your problems with OO.
Which version of Java do you have installed?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#4 2005-01-22 23:46:35

JGC
Developer

Maybe learning latex would be nice?

Turning off auto spell checks would speed up many word processors.

Besides Abiword, which I prefer, there aren't many different choices available than OpenOffice.org and KOffice.

Other option: if you think wine is stable, try MS Word with wine, or get Crossover office. My sister is using it here that way, most of the things work fine, except for inserted JPG/PNG images.

#5 2005-01-23 02:58:36

nacnud

Thanks for your suggestions.  I will try lyx and latex and see how it goes!

#6 2005-01-23 08:25:05

iphitus
Forum Fellow

i use abiword and it's rock solid... i dont know what happened there...

anyway, im going to try and use lyx/latex too this year big_smile

#7 2005-01-23 09:03:03

nggalai
Website

I had problems with Abiword in the past, but the current release (2.2.3) has been very stable for me. Only crashes when trying to import password-protected files.

I never got LyX to run properly on my system, or rather, there seems to be a lot missing. Is there a Wiki or something around about what a proper LyX installation needs in regards to additional packages and configuration?

I predominately use OO.org, mind. I work with styles a lot, and OO.org handles them better than Abiword IMO. Hence also my interest in LyX ...

-Sascha.rb

#8 2005-01-25 23:20:33

nacnud

The error message I just got before Abiword crashed is:

*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev): 0x08865358 ***
Aborted

What could this mean?

#9 2005-01-26 00:27:30

JGC
Developer

We still have a pending patch for glib2 and gtk2 that could be the problem. It could be every lib that abiword depends on, glibc slays abiword because it detects memory inconsistency. The only way of finding out is running abiword with valgrind and detecting which library causes these problems.

We're also one release of abiword behind, which could also fix the problem.

#10 2005-01-27 10:43:21

janwil

nggalai wrote:

I never got LyX to run properly on my system, or rather, there seems to be a lot missing. Is there a Wiki or something around about what a proper LyX installation needs in regards to additional packages and configuration?

In order to produce output, LyX needs teTeX installed (pacman -S tetex) and if you need nice fonts in formulae on screen, you also should download the corresponding ttf or xft fonts; see

http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/FAQ/Qt

Jan

#11 2005-01-27 11:31:05

dp
Website

kword ... as long as you store everything in RTF or native kword xml files.

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#12 2005-01-27 12:14:38

nggalai
Website

janwil wrote:
nggalai wrote:

In order to produce output, LyX needs teTeX installed (pacman -S tetex) and if you need nice fonts in formulae on screen, you also should download the corresponding ttf or xft fonts; see

http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/FAQ/Qt

Jan

Cheers! This will come in handy. big_smile

Thanks a bunch!

-Sascha.rb

#13 2005-01-28 02:38:59

SleepyDog

'Nother vote for latex. I personally don't like lyx. I use vim with the latexsuite plugin. Works great for me. I laugh at the days when I typed half my paper only to have Abiword crash on me. Of course, latex could take a while to learn, but it's a markup code, like HTML, so it isn't too hard.

#14 2005-01-28 15:18:52

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I've honestly never used latex.... maybe this thread will spurn me to do that...  but then again, I'm a developer, not a writer

#15 2005-01-29 15:12:18

oscar

shadowhand wrote:

Lyx. Everyone that learns to use it properly swears to never use anything else ever again. I think there's a QT frontend too.

thanks for the tip!
LyX seems very promising, esp for a lame person who haven't had the time to learn latex properly smile

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#16 2005-01-30 21:55:07

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Kile is another GUI for LaTeX.  However, I prefer using emacs.

#17 2005-01-30 22:37:36

nacnud

JGC wrote:

We still have a pending patch for glib2 and gtk2 that could be the problem. It could be every lib that abiword depends on, glibc slays abiword because it detects memory inconsistency. The only way of finding out is running abiword with valgrind and detecting which library causes these problems.

We're also one release of abiword behind, which could also fix the problem.

These updates seem to have fixed the problem with abiword for me--thank you.

I am dabbling a bit with lyx--it takes some getting used to.  I have to say, though, that lyx seems more equipped for those who work in the sciences than those who work in the humanities (like me).  I'm an English prof so I do a different kind of writing than most of the lyx templates are intended for.  But I guess that makes sense since most linux users are probably science/math people.

#18 2005-01-30 23:07:09

oscar

nacnud wrote:

I am dabbling a bit with lyx--it takes some getting used to.  I have to say, though, that lyx seems more equipped for those who work in the sciences than those who work in the humanities (like me).  I'm an English prof so I do a different kind of writing than most of the lyx templates are intended for.  But I guess that makes sense since most linux users are probably science/math people.

We probably have to convert to the dark side, or die alone sad

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#19 2005-01-31 11:03:19

xerxes2
Website

there is also one company that are making proprietary office software for linux,
www.softmaker.com

I've tried the trial version of the wordprocessor and it was pretty good but then I stopped using it and write xhtml instead so I don't know how good it is really, it cost nothing so it may be worth a try,

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

Board footer