You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-25 17:12:16

Nerd King

[SOLVED]Multiple Kernels

Just made the move on my laptop from Ubuntu to Arch so excuse me for the stupid question. In Ubuntu I can just grab Debs from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ and install them, and hey presto, new kernel installed and grub shows it along with existing ones. Now I've figured out that the AUR contains kernels, which is awesome, but will installation add the extra options to GRUB and let me choose between kernels or will I be stuck with whatever I choose (so if it hoses the system I'm screwed)? I'm using Grub 1 if that helps, not Grub 2 as it's slow.

Last edited by Nerd King (2010-03-26 16:54:35)

Please be patient, I'm a n00b on Arch (only 2 years on Ubuntu) so I may say something stupid!
PS thank you to all those who contribute awesomeness to the AUR and the main packages, you guys have made my computer so much more fun to use!

#2 2010-03-25 17:17:40

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Multiple Kernels

You have to do everything manually. Having package X fiddle with configuration files part of package Y is against Arch policies.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2010-03-25 17:18:42

brebs

Nerd King wrote:

and let me choose between kernels

That is Grub's job. Grub provides the boot menu, in-between the BIOS screen and the kernel loading.

Nerd King wrote:

not Grub 2 as it's slow.

I'm just curious as to why you think it's slow? hmm

#4 2010-03-25 17:21:30

Nerd King

No worries, manual it is. But can I assume that if I have some modicum of brainpower I should be able to choose between them in the grub menu and they'll both work fine?

Brebs.. Grub2 on my ubuntu install took about 5 or 6 seconds to appear, compared to almost instantaneous for grub1. Maybe it's a crappy ubuntu build but that's my experience.

Please be patient, I'm a n00b on Arch (only 2 years on Ubuntu) so I may say something stupid!
PS thank you to all those who contribute awesomeness to the AUR and the main packages, you guys have made my computer so much more fun to use!

#5 2010-03-25 22:58:15

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Nerd King wrote:

No worries, manual it is. But can I assume that if I have some modicum of brainpower I should be able to choose between them in the grub menu and they'll both work fine?

Depends on exactly how much your modicum of brainpower amounts to....

But yes, its dirt-easy. menu.lst for the win

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2010-03-25 23:04:13

Primoz

It fairly easy. As ngoonee said you edit menu.lst, I mostly just edit the fallback option when I only test the kernel, then when I get it to work properly I changed from ARCH to ck.

And don't forget that after you install the new kernel you have to rebuild your graphic drivers if you wish to use X on a new kernel.

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#7 2010-03-25 23:15:10

tavianator
Website

Nerd King wrote:

Brebs.. Grub2 on my ubuntu install took about 5 or 6 seconds to appear, compared to almost instantaneous for grub1. Maybe it's a crappy ubuntu build but that's my experience.

Well if you use gfxterm/vbe/whatever it is that makes grub2 high-res, then it's slow.  So I never enabled that in the config, and it's just as speedy as legacy grub for me.

#8 2010-03-26 07:42:49

Nerd King

Primoz wrote:

It fairly easy. As ngoonee said you edit menu.lst, I mostly just edit the fallback option when I only test the kernel, then when I get it to work properly I changed from ARCH to ck.

And don't forget that after you install the new kernel you have to rebuild your graphic drivers if you wish to use X on a new kernel.

Does that apply only to proprietary drivers or to open ones too? (I'm on open ATI drivers)

#9 2010-03-26 08:01:39

bangkok_manouel

Nerd King wrote:
Primoz wrote:

Does that apply only to proprietary drivers or to open ones too? (I'm on open ATI drivers)

Applies to any out-of-tree kernel driver.

#10 2010-03-26 08:12:03

Nerd King

Fair enough. Let's see if I can do this without wrecking anything!

#11 2010-03-26 16:51:30

Nerd King

Thanks for everyone's help, I now have the 2.6.33-rt-ice kernel working beautifully, you've all been wonderful, as have the people whos threads I searched smile

Board footer