You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-26 05:19:07

Fruity

Correct order for HOOKS in mkinitcpio.conf

I'm messing about with LVM and encrytion. Seem to be hitting a dead end. So I want to check the correct order for the HOOKS line. The wiki here on arch says that;

"In /etc/mkinitcpio.conf add lvm2 before encrypt  in the HOOKS variable" http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sys … r_dm-crypt

Yet in an off site guide (linked from within the arch wiki) It states;

"It is important that encrypt is loaded BEFORE lvm2" http://www.pindarsign.de/webblog/?p=767

So which is it?

HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata keymap encrypt lvm2 filesystems"

Or..

HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata keymap  lvm2 encrypt filesystems"

I seem to recal reading in the LVM wiki that lvm2 should directly preceed filesytems? I'm just confuzzled...

#2 2010-03-26 08:05:13

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Correct order for HOOKS in mkinitcpio.conf

From the blog howto, at the end of the Introduction:

There are two ways of setting up an encrypted disk using LVM:
1. Create the LVM and encrypt every volume separately
2. Set up LVM on top of an encrypted partition

The first method is described in the Arch Wiki.

#3 2010-03-26 21:20:24

Fruity

Re: Correct order for HOOKS in mkinitcpio.conf

OK, so you're saying the exact hook order is dependant on how the system is installed, seems obvious now, but I just didnt see it before.

I'm still hitting a problem however. The install goes fine, mount points and block devices all a-ok. Editing the etc/rc.conf and mkinitcpio.conf files just great, keymap the same as I used when i hit "km" before starting the install. What I am trying to say is that nothing errors.

Then I reboot. It boots to the point where I am asked for the pass for /dev/sda2, and it just hangs.. I enter the pass, hit return and nothing, cursor doesnt move no carriage return, nowt. What might this indicate? I know the pass is correct I have even tried setting it up with "abc" as the pass just to see.. And still it just hangs, doesnt seem to acting on, or accepting my pass input.

The keymap variable isnt the problem in rc.conf, its set to UK, as I mentioned earlier, and in the boot sequence its hooking the keymap just before encrypt.

Most odd, so what's the obvious thing I am not seeing this time! :-)

Board footer