You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-26 09:57:39

norswap

[SOLVED] Is it possible to use noatime on boot/swap partition ?

And why ?

Last edited by norswap (2010-03-28 10:45:01)

#2 2010-03-26 10:27:11

SanskritFritz
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Is it possible to use noatime on boot/swap partition ?

noatime on the swap partition? is there such an option? what would it do? there are no files there.
otherwise the noatime should be deprecated long ago, it just became a burden, without much needed functionality. i heard mutt uses it, dont know otherwise. the frist thing i do after install is turn on the noatime option in fstab.
http://kerneltrap.org/node/14148

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#3 2010-03-26 13:47:19

norswap

there are no files there.

How are "things" stored on the swap file, then ? I come from Windows where the rough equivalent is the pagefile, which is as the name indicate, a file.
And what about /boot ?

#4 2010-03-26 13:52:09

SanskritFritz
Website

Think of the swap partition as the _contents_ of the swapfile in windows. it is the memory contents of applications not needed for the moment.
/boot is just a directory mounted in antother partition, so setting noatime does have its justice there. I would set noatime especially on frequently used partitions, and of cours usb pendrives which wear out relatively quickly.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#5 2010-03-26 16:04:41

fsckd
Forum Fellow

It is possible to have your swap in a file rather than a partition. In such a case, noatime may be preferred. However, you may rather turn on noatime for all the files in a partition instead of just selected files.

Do note, swap as a partition is faster than swap as a file, noatime or not.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

Board footer