You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-26 19:28:40

carlho

OS crashes when parsing the sata/filesystems hooks

Hi,

I'm in a rather tricky situation:
Am using an Apple laptop, intel cpu, which is about 3 years old. My superdrive died a few weeks ago, so I cannot boot a live CD (I tried to clone it on an external HDD using dd, or to use an external usb/firewire optical drive, but that kept failing)
I finally managed to install arch in another way:
Putting my mac in target disk mode, and connecting it to another computer by a firewire cable, then booting the live cd on that other computer, and installing arch on my laptop's hard disk.
My laptop is in a triple boot scheme (osx - xp - arch), so i installed refit, and put grub on /dev/sda3 (or /dev/sdc3 when i was installing), i successfully edited my menu.lst, also the /etc/fstab, ...
Everything went fine (used gptsync so i could install grub etc) and the installation finished correctly.

But now im stuck at boot when the sata (or filesystems i don't know) hook is loaded by udev, and tries to detect an hard disk (disk/by-uuid/...) and fails doing that.
I'm then stucked in the ramfs shell.
(the fallback kernel image however works, but I have no idea why).

Does the uuid of a disk changes from computer to computer ? is that hook trying to load a disk from the computer i used when doing the install ? How to configure what disks can be seen by the kernel images (tried to edit every file in the system configuration part of the AIF without success).

Sorry for the messy post neutral

Thanks in advance.

#2 2010-03-29 22:18:28

Zerathidune

Re: OS crashes when parsing the sata/filesystems hooks

The difference between the fallback image and the regular one is that the initrd contains all modules that could potentially be needed to boot on any machine, rather than just the ones needed to boot on the machine it's installed on.

My guess is, because you installed from another machine, the regular image is configured for the machine you installed with, not the one you installed on. I would try running mkinitcpio to regenerate the images.

#3 2010-03-30 16:01:30

carlho

Re: OS crashes when parsing the sata/filesystems hooks

That's what I figured out when browsing the net, hence doing "mkinicpio -g kernel26" again from the fallback image, was gonna post that when i read your comment.
Thanks anyway for the post.

Board footer