You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-26 21:52:55

rjrjr

Dbus and Hal both fail to load

I have been trying to get this to work for the past several days.

When watching the text of the boot, it seems like hal and dbus both load correctly, but when I login and start xfce, neither of them appear to be correctly loaded.

Hal simply fails when I try to /etc/rc.d/hal restart, while dbus complains of a .pid file, which I remove and then appears to load normally. Networkmanager also appears to reload normally, but I can't start nm-applet.
nm-applet complains:

$ nm-applet

** (nm-applet:2534): WARNING **: <WARN>  bus_init(): Could not get the system bus.  Make sure the message bus daemon is running!  Message: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused

** (nm-applet:2534): CRITICAL **: nm_remote_settings_system_new: assertion `bus != NULL' failed

** (nm-applet:2534): CRITICAL **: nm_settings_service_export: assertion `priv->bus != NULL' failed

** (nm-applet:2534): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_proxy_call: assertion `DBUS_IS_G_PROXY (proxy)' failed

** (nm-applet:2534): WARNING **: <WARN>  request_name(): Could not acquire the NetworkManagerUserSettings service.
  Error: (-1) (unknown)

Attempting to reload dbus gives me:

$ sudo /etc/rc.d/dbus reload
:: Reloading D-BUS configuration                                         [BUSY] 
Failed to open connection to "system" message bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused
                                                                         [FAIL]

I've tried switching things around in the DAEMONS array, which hasn't worked. I've also added my user to all the groups and edited hal.conf to include users in the "power" and "storage" groups.

Still trying to get the hang of all this manual configuation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2010-03-27 03:22:22

rjrjr

Re: Dbus and Hal both fail to load

Upon further experimenting, it seems like dbus-daemon segfaults when I start xfce, but starts normally and works if I don't start X.

#3 2010-03-27 03:29:30

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Probably a stupid answer, but try re-installing both of them

#4 2010-03-27 03:36:55

rjrjr

Well, I'll give that a shot if I don't figure something else out. I found that HAL was running, and Dbus was messed up, but if I stopped hal and removed dbus.pid and then restarted both of them from inside xfce, the both run, but I get the sam error from nm-applet. Maybe the applet is the problem?

#5 2010-03-27 03:52:46

rjrjr

Problem solved. I followed a fix for wicd, actually. I just edited my ~/.xinitrc to use "exec ck-launch-session xfce4-session" instead of "exec startxfce4". My Arch system is fully operational!

#6 2010-03-27 03:59:15

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

rjrjr wrote:

Problem solved. I followed a fix for wicd, actually. I just edited my ~/.xinitrc to use "exec ck-launch-session xfce4-session" instead of "exec startxfce4". My Arch system is fully operational!

Glad to hear you solved it big_smile

#7 2010-03-27 12:26:19

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Glad you found a solution.
Please prepend [solved] to your post title.

Board footer