You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-11 03:09:46

Mt.Tam-Luxer

$PATH missing '/usr/local/bin'

$PATH missing '/usr/local/bin' in /etc/login.defs and /etc/profile.

I only noticed, being somewhat a noob, after compiling the NEW Dillo 0.7.3 and finding that it places its' executable in /usr/local/bin (!).  This, not being in my $PATH by default.

Please consider adding this line to future ARCH 0.6 or beyond for WORKSTATION users:

#
# /etc/profile
#

export PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/opt/bin"

Thanx.

#2 2003-08-11 03:24:37

contrasutra

Re: $PATH missing '/usr/local/bin'

I think Arch tries to avoid using /usr/local/bin, because it gets cluttered.

Most Arch packages direct binaries to /usr/bin.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#3 2003-08-11 04:11:55

Mt.Tam-Luxer

contrasutra wrote:

I think Arch tries to avoid using /usr/local/bin, because it gets cluttered.

Most Arch packages direct binaries to /usr/bin.

Ok -- thanx.  On the ol-learn'n-curve, here.

#4 2003-08-11 04:38:37

sarah31
Website

yeah in the case of compiling without using a PKGBUILD from abs justtype this at configure time:

./configure --prefix=/usr

this will put all dirsetories in /usr and the binary in /usr/bin.

but imho if there is a PKGBUILD for a desired app (such as dillo) it is SO much easier just to use abs and makepkg to make a new package.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2003-08-11 07:42:18

andy

Mt.Tam-Luxer wrote:

I only noticed, being somewhat a noob, after compiling the NEW Dillo 0.7.3

A very wise decision to use this great browser :-) ... and I'm even serious about that.

Mt.Tam-Luxer wrote:

and finding that it places its' executable in /usr/local/bin (!).  This, not being in my $PATH by default.

For some reason it is in my /etc/profile ... but I don't remember if I put it there or not.

Firstly, (and as already mentioned more or less) I can see arguments why AL does not include /usr/local/bin by default (mainly because there is nothing there when only installing AL packages).

But OTOH, this is the beauty of AL : you can (and are even supposed to) configure your system as you like by editing the files in /etc. I guess that's why I don't remember, because the first thing I would do if need be is editing /etc/profile ;-) ...

Oh, but something (very general !) to consider : if you want to keep your system "Unix-style", don't put every posible PATH in /etc/profile, but put it in ~/.profile (or whatever shell you are using). If you are the only user, it does not really matter. But in a "true multi-user Unix system" you should not have /funky/path/bin in /etc/ ... not that /usr/local is exotic ....this is more of a general note.

sarah31 wrote:

but imho if there is a PKGBUILD for a desired app (such as dillo)

yes, the PKGBUILD for dillo works fine, however, last week they released the latest version 0.7.3 which Mt.Tam-Luxer tried to install ( ... hint ... hint ... package maintainers ... :-) ... ). It was not quite clear from your post if yo wanted him to modify the PKGBUILD script or to just use it.

Oh, and besides changing pkgver, the source should now point to http://www.dillo.org/download/dillo-0.7.3.tar.bz2

Board footer