You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-27 20:25:26

adelgado

Radeon HD5770, video and drivers

Since a month or so, I've been the proud owner of a brand new Sapphire Radeon HD5770! Meh...

Althought it works great with Windows, Arch is my main production/leisure system and I'd like to get it to work perfectly with my new graphics board.

The main issues have been with VT-switching, video loading and video playback.

As recommended in the Wiki, I've installed the open source drivers xf86-video-ati. After managing to get it running I got some persistent problems with it:

I couldn't VT-switch. When getting back to the X server all the colors were switched (everything seemed like an X-ray on drugs) and that made the system unusable. Only restarting X fixed the problem.

Also, every time I opened a video with any video player the screen first got all black for a moment and then the video started playing.

What's more, the players could not properly play the files without frequent buffering pauses. It was really annoying. And it could not do fast scenes without glitching (e.g. The Big Bang Theory's opening credits).

Earlier today I decided to fix the situation and I istalled the ATI proprietary driver, Catalyst. I got it to work with no hassle, but except for VT-switching, the other problems continue. The glitching patterns are different now, and the videos skip instead of buffer, but the point is that I cannot view them properly.

Edit: I forgot to mension that most players (e.g. VLC) complain about the lack of an libdvpau_nvidia.so somewhere. They just keep running after. That must be driver legacy from my old card, an NVIDIA. I tried removing libvdpau but stuff stopped working completely. I just reinstalled it. IIRC, PAU is NVIDIA stuff, so why should I need it?

I would gladly appreciate any thoughts :-)

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by adelgado (2010-03-27 20:28:34)

Board footer