You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-27 21:02:49

kiruch
Website

(solved) Asus eeePC 2G won't see the boot USB stick

Hi everyone!
I have some experience with ArchLinux, and generally everything worked fine, but today i decided to install Arch onto an Asus eeePC 2G Surf, and ran into a trouble. Currently the netbook is running Windows XP.

I made several successful attempts to write the image file onto the USB key:
i tried two methods: Win32 Disk Imager (as described in the wiki: http://is.gd/b2tgd) and UNetBootin.
i tried two USB drives as well: a 4GB Kingston DataTraveler and, experimentally, an iPod Shuffle 2G.
As i have stated already, this was seemingly successful (on a side note, Flashnul failed).

Then i rebooted and went into BIOS.

When i either don't have any USB sticks plugged in OR when i plug in my Kingston, the boot device options are:
* Removable Device
* HDD
* ATAPI CD-ROM (which i DON'T have)
* Disabled

When i have the iPod Shuffle plugged in, the boot device options are:
* Removable Device
* HDD
* Apple iPod
* Disabled

In the first scenario, i select "Removable Device". In the second scenario, i select "Apple iPod".
Then i save and quit (F10).

After that, i get the black screen with something along these lines written on it:
"Reboot and select a proper boot device, or insert boot media into the selected boot device and press a key". Sad sad

I have googled around and found out that on eeePC, only the two USB slots on the right support boot devices. But there's no difference here, my eeePC still won't recognize the Kingston; it recognizes the iPod though, probably because it's self-powered, but doesn't do anything good either.

What i do know is that my Kingston has the image on it and it's seemingly bootable, as after trying the Disk Imager on it, i have used UNetBootin on it, and UNetBootin normally should make it bootable.
My iPod is probably too, but who knows those iPods, maybe they can't be made bootable.

So maybe it's just me or my eeePC?

Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated; if i manage to install ArchLinux onto my netbook, i will be forever grateful!!
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by kiruch (2010-03-27 22:08:55)

#2 2010-03-27 22:07:42

kiruch
Website

Re: (solved) Asus eeePC 2G won't see the boot USB stick

Nevermind, i changed something in bios and its working now, yahoo!! smile

Board footer