You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-29 13:30:23

zykos

pacman gtk frontend and gnome-package-kit install

Hi,

I recently installed Archlinux and am still checking out some of its features. I wanted to install a frontend to pacman, since I find I'm more productive with a package management gui to find the stuff I need (when I know what to install, I agree the command line is faster). I tried gtkPacman, but the inability to jump to a specific package by typing the beginning of the name, like in synaptic, is a major slowdown. I tried installing gnome-packagekit-git (since the regular gnome-packagekit was marked as outdated) from AUR with yaourt, but I got the following error:

checking for GLIB... yes
checking for GIO... yes
checking for DBUS... yes
checking for GTK... configure: error: Package requirements ( gtk+-2.0 >= 2.19.3 gdk-2.0 fontconfig) were not met:

Requested 'gtk+-2.0 >= 2.19.3' but version of GTK+ is 2.18.9

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GTK_CFLAGS
and GTK_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting...
Error: Makepkg was unable to build gnome-packagekit-git package.

I'm not sure why the dependencies aren't met, but from what I read my gtk2 is too old. How should I go about upgrading it?

Thanks

#2 2010-03-29 14:08:23

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: pacman gtk frontend and gnome-package-kit install

You'll need to build a development version I think (there is no newer GTK2+ in testing). Grab the PKGBUILD from the ABS tree and edit it, build it (I hope for you it doesn't need any newer GTK2+ deps), and you should be okay.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2010-03-29 16:43:30

zykos

Thanks for the quick reply.
I tried what you suggested. The problem is that the dependency is not in the PKGBUILD, but in the .configure of the sources pulled from git. Removing it breaks the compilation (it seems the stable version of packagekit relies on some new gtk widgets or widget calls that just appeared in the test branch of gtk). I tried downloading a stable release from http://www.packagekit.org/releases/, and I got the following results:
- versions 2.28 and before depend on packagekit-glib, which I understand is obsolete
- versions 2.29.3 and after depend on the development version of gtk+2.0 (2.19.3)
- the download of 2.29.1 is corrupted
- version 2.29.2 configures (all dependencies pass), but had a compile error. When looking it up, I found the error is acknowledged and they suggest trying a newer build...

So I settled for building gtk+2.19.3. This one, in turn, requires atk 1.29.92 and glib 2.23. It would be nice if all of this was in the AUR.
I have one more question though. The standard make install puts the libraries in /usr/local/lib. This doesn't seem to be recognized in the library path. How can I change the exec and lib paths to include /usr/local? For now, I just changed the makefiles, I'm not sure if it's a good thing to do.

Thanks for the help

#4 2010-03-29 17:25:13

descendent87

Have you tried the gnome-unstable repo? http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=79706 I'm guessing that will have the latest development version of GTK as the new Gnome will depend on it

#5 2010-03-29 20:35:10

zykos

Thanks! I didn't know about the gnome unstable repo. It actually has 2.20, so it's even more recent. How do you install it though? I tried the usual pacman -Syu, but it ignores it. I tried the man pages, but didn't see anything.

#6 2010-03-29 22:08:15

Surgat_

You need to add it to your /etc/pacman.conf, above all other mirrors.

#7 2010-03-29 22:42:50

zykos

That's what I did, but I can't get pacman to install the 2.20 version of gtk2 directly. It did recognize it when I added the dependency in the PKGBUILD of packagekit. But there, it produced an error saying that glib 2.23 couldn't be found:

resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "glib2>=2.23.5", a dependency of "atk"
:: the following package(s) cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      gtk2

So it seems gnome-unstable doesn't even contain all the dependencies that are necessary. In any case, that was a build dependency, I managed to install packagekit with my own compiled gtk2, then removed it and it continued working. But now packagekit doesn't authenticate when I run it as normal user, and complains when I run it as root. This also seems to be a known problem, apparently going to be fixed "very soon".

I think I'm going to give up on packagekit altogether.

Board footer