You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-30 07:32:14

snaip

[solved] Thunar Volman, LUKS, dm-crypt and labels

Hello, I'm back again with silly questions that internet doesn't seem to provide an answer.

So, thunar-volman mounts LUKS based USB storage devices nicely, it asks for password and everything goes smoothly. However the devices get mounted with default HAL names like

/media/disk
/media/disk-1
etc.

I was hoping to define the mountpoint myself depending either on the label of the disk or UUID of the disk. This seems to be harder than expected though. I tried defining the label through hal fdi policy (if uuid spotted - give name X). The label got defined OK to /dev/sdb1 , however I suppose volman creates the dm-crypt mapper to /dev/mapper/luks-[uuid] and loses the label in the process.

I tried also the following approach [wiki]Udev#Mounting_to_.2Fmedia.3B_uses_partition_label.3B_supports_luks_encryption[/wiki], but it did not work at all. Might be the script failed to initialize in the first place. Anyone got any hints on getting this to work?

So, anyone got a working unity that has automount of LUKS encrypted USB storage volumes, which mounts the volume based on label or UUID based rulesets?

Thanks for any tips!

Last edited by snaip (2010-03-30 17:28:36)

#2 2010-03-30 14:33:49

seiichiro0185
Website

Re: [solved] Thunar Volman, LUKS, dm-crypt and labels

I also use Thunar + Thunar Volman without any special settings, and it creates the mountpoints from the filesystem labels of the encrypted FS just fine.

Just did normal cryptsetup luksFormat and mkfs with -L "<label>" afterwards on the mapper device to fromat the disk and it just works.

Last edited by seiichiro0185 (2010-03-30 14:34:58)

My System: Dell XPS 13 | i7-7560U | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD | FHD Screen | Arch Linux
My Workstation/Server: Supermicro X11SSZ-F | Xeon E3-1245 v6 | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD Raid 1 + 6TB HDD ZFS Raid Z1 | Proxmox VE
My Stuff at Github: github
My Homepage: Seiichiros HP

#3 2010-03-30 17:32:44

snaip

Re: [solved] Thunar Volman, LUKS, dm-crypt and labels

seiichiro0185 wrote:

I also use Thunar + Thunar Volman without any special settings, and it creates the mountpoints from the filesystem labels of the encrypted FS just fine.

Just did normal cryptsetup luksFormat and mkfs with -L "<label>" afterwards on the mapper device to fromat the disk and it just works.

Right! I originally tried to label using gparted, but it doesn't bother with devices in /dev/mapper so I somehow gave up and forgot it.

Problem was solved by simply mounting the crypted drive as usual, and labeling the drive by typing

e2label /dev/mapper/luks_crypto_[UUID] [LABEL]

Thanks a bunch, seiichiro0185. Next time I'll remember labeling them when I create the filesystem (should be obvious but.. yeah).

Board footer