You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-31 20:04:14

arlamczyk

Running X without a config file...

hi,

first post, so go easy on me.

i have a thinkpad t21 with a savage video card that uses 8mb of video ram.

i've been working my way through the beginners guide wiki, and had some questions about running x without an xorg.conf file. 

i am able to start x as root and as a regular user without an xorg.conf file present, and all seems fine.  yet when i review my /var/log/Xorg.0.log in nano, i see two (ee) error lines:

one says dri isn't enabled, and

the other says insufficient videoram for 3d--try a lower color depth or a smaller desktop.

do i really need to worry about either of those?  i'm not a gamer, and do not intend to start gaming with this laptop. 

if i did decide to try to fix those errors, is the only way to make the changes to use a xorg.conf file?  or can i make the changes in some other way?

i'd really like to not have to use an xorg.conf as when i did try to use one, i had more (ee) lines than what i'm getting without using one.

should i just procees with installing openbox?

any and all comments will be appreciated; thanks in advance...

#2 2010-03-31 20:35:38

Slurp53

Re: Running X without a config file...

In my opinion neither error is anything to worry about.  As long as it's running at a resolution that is acceptable to you.  With that card it's not going to be blazing fast, videos might be a tad choppy, but I'll get you by for the basic stuff.

#3 2010-03-31 22:02:45

paldepind

Re: Running X without a config file...

Maybe this could fix the dri error: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBM … ad_X31#Dri

Board footer