You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-31 23:53:55

Nerous

ATI 3650 xf86-video-radeonhd system slow

Hello everyone.

I changed my nvidia 7600 GS graphic card, with ATI 3650. I've installed xf86-video-ati (radeon) but at log in screen i couldn't see anything except the mouse pointer.

After this, i installed xf86-video-radeonhd (radeonhd) and worked. But my system is very slow. 10 times slower than using the nvidia card.

Anything that i can try to do to get better performance?

#2 2010-04-01 00:36:39

oldmerovingian

Re: ATI 3650 xf86-video-radeonhd system slow

Did you install ati-dri and libgl?

Also, are you using Compiz?

#3 2010-04-01 01:44:07

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Basically, what the above poster said.

Also make sure you install either xf86-input-mouse (PS/2 and USB Mouse) or xf86-input-synaptics (touchpad) and xf86-input-keyboard so you can use the hardware once the card works big_smile

EDIT: You could also try the proprietary driver: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29111

Last edited by cesura (2010-04-01 01:45:50)

#4 2010-04-01 05:44:05

Nerd King

Radeonhd will be slow. xf86-video-ati is ok for basic desktop stuff but useless for games at this point (though it's improving rapidly). At present, if you are unable to get xf86-video-ati to work you may have to use the proprietary driver as you probably do with your NVIDIA machine. It's called FLGRX, have a look at the arch wiki and you'll see plenty of helpful info. I'd suggest though that it's worth persevering with the ati driver if you can get it to work, so remove the radeonhd and then we can start working on solving that issue.

Btw if you can see the mouse pointer then it's not a graphics card issue. Are you sure you didn't install something like openbox or fluxbox as your desktop environment? If that's the case, right-click brings up a menu like the Windows Start menu. If you want something more fully-featured you may want lxde, xfce, kde or gnome. All are easily installed.

Please be patient, I'm a n00b on Arch (only 2 years on Ubuntu) so I may say something stupid!
PS thank you to all those who contribute awesomeness to the AUR and the main packages, you guys have made my computer so much more fun to use!

#5 2010-04-01 05:53:57

flamelab

Don't use radeonhd, but only xf86-video-ati or catalyst if you want.

#6 2010-04-01 12:40:33

Nerous

oldmerovingian wrote:

Did you install ati-dri and libgl?

Also, are you using Compiz?

Yes i had installed both ati-dri and libgl

itsbrad212 wrote:

Basically, what the above poster said.

Also make sure you install either xf86-input-mouse (PS/2 and USB Mouse) or xf86-input-synaptics (touchpad) and xf86-input-keyboard so you can use the hardware once the card works big_smile

EDIT: You could also try the proprietary driver: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29111

xf86-input-synaptics and xf86-input-keyboard were already installed.

That one required <1.7 xorg. I have tried this one http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29111 but it has again bad performance.

Nerd King wrote:

Radeonhd will be slow. xf86-video-ati is ok for basic desktop stuff but useless for games at this point (though it's improving rapidly). At present, if you are unable to get xf86-video-ati to work you may have to use the proprietary driver as you probably do with your NVIDIA machine. It's called FLGRX, have a look at the arch wiki and you'll see plenty of helpful info. I'd suggest though that it's worth persevering with the ati driver if you can get it to work, so remove the radeonhd and then we can start working on solving that issue.

Btw if you can see the mouse pointer then it's not a graphics card issue. Are you sure you didn't install something like openbox or fluxbox as your desktop environment? If that's the case, right-click brings up a menu like the Windows Start menu. If you want something more fully-featured you may want lxde, xfce, kde or gnome. All are easily installed.

flamelab wrote:

Don't use radeonhd, but only xf86-video-ati or catalyst if you want.

Yes i just need basic desktop stuff. I dont want something extreme. Don't know whats going on with xf86-video-ati and the mouse pointer. i haven't installed anything than kdm and gdm.
I didn't have xorg.conf file, i read that it wasn't necessary. Maybe i had to create one and change some stuffs there for better performance>

Board footer