You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-01 13:16:43

xelados
Website

Strange color profiling screwing up PNG files in Firefox

http://bb.xieke.com/files/weird-colors.png (Warning, big image)

As you can see, Firefox on the right displays the images of my layout with a purple hue (incorrect) while Chromium renders it just fine.

The display I'm using is a Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW with a color setting of "Normal Preset (sRGB)".

My netbook, a Samsung NC10, renders the layout properly in Firefox. Both computers have the same version of Firefox installed; both fresh profiles, as well. I have no idea what's causing this discrepency.

I had a friend save the images himself with Photoshop, and I checked them out in Firebug; the result matched Chromium's rendering. I think I've isolated the issue to GIMP, but if it was GIMP's fault, why would Chromium render properly?

I'm very confused by all of this. I attempted to use lprof to make a profile but it didn't make any sense.

Ideas? Suggestions?

EDIT: Turning off color correction in Firefox by going to about:config and changing

gfx.color_management.mode

to zero (0) and restarting the browser makes it display AOK, but I'm not sure if that's a valid fix or simply a workaround.

EDIT2: All files in the layout are saved under the default sRGB color profile in GIMP:
color-profile.png

Last edited by xelados (2010-04-01 13:26:37)

#2 2010-04-01 20:19:08

toxygen

Re: Strange color profiling screwing up PNG files in Firefox

does it also happen if you disable the firefox persona?

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#3 2010-04-01 23:02:04

xelados
Website

Yes, the Persona has nothing to do with the color rendering since a persona is nothing more than 2 images and 2 text settings.

#4 2010-04-02 00:58:23

anonymous_user

Have you tried using the Dell Ultrasharp with the netbook?

#5 2010-04-02 13:56:35

xelados
Website

anonymous_user: I have no idea where to begin doing something like that. Isn't doing multidisplay in X a pain in the ass?

Board footer