You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-02 18:31:23

sDoky

DBUS problem

Hi, I have a big problem. After an upgrade I cannot start any service (including x server) as normal user. Some time ago I had to add policy for nm-applet the same as root for me. Now I cannot do anything unless I am root. The biggest deal is I cannot even log in. I use cdm and dwm and it cannot log me in. Please help me. I am desperate. I think just blind adding policies doesn't solve anything, or if it does, I think this is not the right way. I am in the dbus group. (also in root group). Please don't tell me I have to reinstall the system. I would have to kill myself.

EDIT: the nm-applet problem was, that the network manager couldn't start, so I had to add something like <policy user="sdoky"> <allow ...> </policy> just copy those lines from root, just add them below the root with changed user. I could have lived with that (also using wicd right now - has a ncurses client)

HELP please, I am desperate. There must be something I am doing wrong... please tell me what.

Last edited by sDoky (2010-04-02 20:19:19)

Linux!

#2 2010-04-03 16:15:21

sDoky

Re: DBUS problem

Please, is there anyone who can help me? I am quite desperate since I cannot use my linux installation. Has anyone experienced this sort of error?

Linux!

#3 2010-04-03 16:39:18

Spacenick

This sounds all pretty vague I doubt anyone can help you with this little information. And why exactly are you making reinstalling look like such a drama, you have backups, don't you? And even if you don't it's not like it's impossible to use a Live system for backupping data. And then a reinstall is what, 3 hours of work at most?!
The best reason I see for not reinstalling would be seeing it as a challenge, which I'd understand perfectly but then again that doesn't make one desperate.
If you need to be root for such simple tasks maybe permsisions for a folder like /usr/bin are messed up, I doubt DBUS is to blame. And where exactly have you added those policies?
And please stay  a little bit more calm if you want people to help you it's not like you haven't chosen freely to use a Linux distribution that needs a little bit more work than others.
Could you elaborate on what exactly are the sympotms what is the ouput of the commands you can't run as a normal user?
Which commands are you trying to run and whats in your X error logs?

#4 2010-04-03 17:48:15

educev

Sorry my english. I had the same problem with nm-applet, the file in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/nm-applet.conf was empty. Solution: reinstall with pacman -S network-manager-applet o pacman -Sf network-manager-applet if there is conflict.

Sorry my bad English. If you see a mistake let me know, this way I can learn ^^

#5 2010-04-03 18:54:54

sDoky

reinstall. X starts now. new topic started. http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=736685 I am unaware of anything unusual I did. I suppose there should be some documentation on these recent changes made to dbus. it definetely is a dbus problem.

Linux!

#6 2010-04-03 18:57:52

sDoky

and FYI: you would hope 3 hours... at least 20hrs (fbcondecor kernel compilation, grub2-gfxmenu, hdapsd, mpd, cpufreq-utils, audio, codecs...), I had my system so tuned and one update made this completely useless. those countless hours setting it up are just being wasted. of course I saved my configs ...

EDIT: sorry I was so pissed, that my system got messed I almost smashed my computer with a hammer...

Last edited by sDoky (2010-04-03 20:02:19)

Linux!

#7 2010-04-03 19:00:38

sDoky

educev wrote:

Sorry my english. I had the same problem with nm-applet, the file in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/nm-applet.conf was empty. Solution: reinstall with pacman -S network-manager-applet o pacman -Sf network-manager-applet if there is conflict.

yeah, I had the same problem. Then just out of nowhere nothing works

Linux!

#8 2010-04-03 19:46:05

Spacenick

I'm sorry for you, especially if the tip by educev might have worked for you

Board footer