You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-03 12:27:15

arkvark

installing archlinux on sun virtual box: really stuck

Hello! First post!

I mess about with a lot of Linux distros. So, today I tried out Archlinux 2009.08 on i686 [which I assume works for my x86 PC] for the first time on sun virtual box.

All went fine for a while. Then...

I am installing archlinux on a VM [Virtualbox]. I have installed packages. I am in a screen about the main configuration file. At the top is /etc/rc.conf                 It goes through all settings such as timezone etc. I am happy with them. So, I want to go back to the previous screen which was step 6 - configuring installation. However there is no obvious step to go back. I have tried everything. Back arrow. Tab. Spacebar. Esc. There is no prompt anywhere on the screen to direct me back. What do I do? I would hate to ditch it and start again - I've got this far and it's been quite a process.

I have looked at the wiki. To my astonishment it gives me no help whatever in this respect. I strongly suggest changing this. For I am totally stuck. I can go no further in the installation until I know how to get back from these configuration screens such as /etc/rc.conf.

It may be obvious. But it's not obvious to me.

I really want to try Archlinux. In my Linux group there's a person who's set up a professional music studio all with Archlinux; he says that it has rock solid stability.

Can you help??

Thank you.

#2 2010-04-03 12:34:44

loafer

Re: installing archlinux on sun virtual box: really stuck

Do you mean you are stuck in your editor?  Which one are you using?    If it's vim for example, shift + : and then type wq to save your changes and hit enter.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2010-04-03 12:48:23

arkvark

OK. I was using vim. So I will try that.

Thank you.

#4 2010-04-03 13:17:27

arkvark

OK. that worked. But now I don't seem to have a gnome, kde etc after having installed??

??

#5 2010-04-03 13:39:59

Mektub

Its on the beginners guide. Excerpt:

Install the base GNOME environment with:

# pacman -S gnome

Additionally, you can install the extras:

# pacman -S gnome-extra

etc, etc

It's here:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#6 2010-04-03 14:56:43

KingX

Arch is a minimalist distro, so the initial install only gives you a minimal working environment. After that it is in your hands regarding what you want for your system gnome/kde/xfce/fluxbox/fvwm2 etc.

Board footer