You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-04 11:09:16

Vasher

makemkv requires root access? [SOLVED]

Okay. I've been running into a problem with makemkv and was wondering if anyone else had run into it and solved it. Basically, I have to run makemkv as root or with sudo. If I run it as a normal user, I get a dialog telling me "Application failed to initialize" which isn't very helpful. I installed it using the AUR package, but I get the same results if I grab the source and build and install it as my normal user to my home directory, so I don't think that it's a problem with the AUR package.

My guess is that there's a permissions problem somewhere, but I have no clue what it could be. I've used makemkv under other distributions before and never had this problem. I even tried an older version of makemkv which I know worked fine in OpenSuSE with a normal user. But in Arch, it doesn't work without root access.

So, I'm fairly certain that something requires root access in Arch that didn't in OpenSuSE. If anyone has any clue as to what setting I need to tweak, or which file I have to change permissions on, or whatever it is I need to do to make makemkv work as a normal user, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Vasher (2010-05-13 02:51:01)

#2 2010-05-13 02:50:48

Vasher

Re: makemkv requires root access? [SOLVED]

Problem solved. The issue was that /dev/shm wasn't world writable. With /dev/shm world writable, makemkv works just fine as a normal user.

Board footer