You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-05 05:41:14

josh000

Fluxbox anti-aliasing and other questions

I am using the latest stable version of Fluxbox, and I am mostly very happy with it. However, I am finding it hard to have a desktop which looks nice. Whenever I try to use a style with rounded corners, the corners are horribly jagged. As are many icons such as the FireFox icon. Does Fluxbox not have anti-aliasing? Or is it something I have to enable seperatly? I'd like to have an amazing looking desktop without having to go to a smaler resolution or change window managers.

The resolution of my laptop is 1680x1050. This is also the resolution that I run Fluxbox at and wish to continue doing so.

I would also like to know if it is possible to stop Fluxbox from showing coordinates when I move windows around the desktop. This is information I don't care about and for me it sometimes gets in the way.

I am also wondering if there is any way to prevent application windows from going below the toolbar or an alternative, such as tint2. My model for this is actually the windows desktop in a way, where none of the application window is below the start bar when maximized. At the moment many applications maximize to the full screen, and even if I have the toolbar set to be above all windows, it ends up obscuring parts of them.

Lastly, I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good volume system tray application? At the moment I have to open a terminal and use alsamixer or auxmix from my menu, and neither is really convenient for changing volume often and quickly

#2 2010-04-05 13:33:22

Willie Green

Re: Fluxbox anti-aliasing and other questions

josh000 wrote:

Lastly, I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good volume system tray application? At the moment I have to open a terminal and use alsamixer or auxmix from my menu, and neither is really convenient for changing volume often and quickly

wmix works well for me in the "slit".

"Some people march to a different drummer - and some people polka"

#3 2010-04-05 18:51:51

anonymous_user

josh000 wrote:

I would also like to know if it is possible to stop Fluxbox from showing coordinates when I move windows around the desktop. This is information I don't care about and for me it sometimes gets in the way.

Have you looked at the ~/.fluxbox/init file?

josh000 wrote:

Try volwheel.

#4 2010-04-05 19:41:27

josh000

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Any idea about the antialiasing?

#5 2010-04-05 20:00:13

Coacher

you may try adding

session.screen0.antialias:      true

to your init file. I didnt find description of this oprion in man, just found one day in one of the fluxbox configs over the internet.

session.screen0.showwindowposition:     false

Last edited by Coacher (2010-04-06 05:04:00)

#6 2010-04-05 20:03:22

josh000

From what I understand the anti-alias option is for fonts, not for the way windows are drawn?

Is it just not possible with fluxbox at this time?

#7 2010-04-05 21:19:00

lagagnon
Website

josh000: I would ask that question at the fluxbox IRC channel or its mailing list. That's where the fluxbox devs hang out. If you get an answer I too would like to know a solution ;-)

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

Board footer