You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-26 19:32:46

gaspojo

PKGBUILD + install script in one?

Is there a real need to separate the pre_install(), post_install(), pre_upgrade() functions and post_upgrade() from the PKGBUILD?

I'm wondering why they can't be defined inside the PKGBUILD, so there is no need for multiple files.

#2 2005-01-27 01:39:04

sarah31
Website

Re: PKGBUILD + install script in one?

Beacuse it is too cluttered to include .install functions within the build.

Since most packages do not require these functions they are separated out.

do you really want PKGBUILD to include the empty functions by default?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2005-01-27 01:56:14

gaspojo

sarah31 wrote:

I just meant that the functions could be defined inside the PKGBUILD, instead of writing two files.

#4 2005-01-27 19:04:25

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

gaspojo wrote:
sarah31 wrote:

I just meant that the functions could be defined inside the PKGBUILD, instead of writing two files.

The PKGBUILD file is not distributed with the package, making the _install/_remove functions useless then.  If an install file exists, makepkg places that into the package that it creates

#5 2005-01-28 00:06:30

gaspojo

phrakture wrote:

The PKGBUILD file is not distributed with the package, making the _install/_remove functions useless then.  If an install file exists, makepkg places that into the package that it creates

Oh, I see how it works, now. Thanks. Nevertheless, I think including the PKGBUILD wouldn't be so stupid. It would be reduced to almost nothing by tar.gz and one wouldn't have to write a separate install file. Also, one could just rip the PKGBUILD off the package file if doesn't use ABS (of course it would only work if there were no additional files needed for building).
Just my opinion.

#6 2005-01-30 23:04:52

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

But then if you changed a comment or something in a PKGBUILD, you'd need a new package.  I don't think that we want to re-release packages for changes that don't actually affect the built package.

I think having a PKGBUILD inside packages just adds extra stuff that shouldn't be needed.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#7 2005-04-06 14:56:15

mxcl
Website

It's pretty trivial for makepkg to split the functions out of the PKGBUILD and put them into the separate files when packaging.

It's a PITA to have to read through multiple files when it is not necessary. This suggestion is an improvement with no sideaffects (that I can see, none of the issues mentioned above are real, maybe there is some other good reason that hasn't been mentioned).

Board footer