You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-11 19:38:09

Jagged

Dosemu: no a.out support but no a.out with kernel

Allrighty I've been itching to play some Dark Sun and Dungeon Hack, figured I'd give dosemu a shot for this.  My kernel only has ELF support.  Upon compiling of dosemu I get the message

< edit > Forgot another thing... this error happens within the install script, appears to be while autconf is running < /edit >

Sorry, a.out system detected, but we do no longer support it

Here's part of my kernel config to show it is indeed ELF:

CONFIG_KCORE_ELF=y
# CONFIG_KCORE_AOUT is not set
# CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT is not set
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
# CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF_AOUT is not set
# CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC is not set

Any ideas?

Nkawtg...n!

#2 2003-08-11 20:04:02

Gyroplast
Website

Re: Dosemu: no a.out support but no a.out with kernel

I reproduced the error here, and it's based on a braindamaged configure script. Yes, we probably already guessed that much. smile

Well, it basically greps for "__ELF__" in the gcc spec file which is displayed in the gcc -v version string information block, and obviously gcc3.3 doesn't think that's to be included in the spec file anymore. That's what you get when using non-documented methods of checking for ELF support.

Workaround?

Hack the file base-configure file at line 2855ff and comment out the whole "else" block except for the setting of ELF="ELF=1". This will bypass this stupid check entirely.
Unfortunately it still won't compile since, of course, multi-line literals are used across the code. Gnaha!

Solution?

Dump version 1.0.2 and see if you're better off with the development version. This one is just not up to date anymore. Version 1.1.5 from http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/source … -1.1.5.tgz compiles just fine here, even though they use a non-standard way of configuring the options. Oh well, still simple enough to figure out. wink

HTH,
  Dennis

"That's the problem with good advice. Nobody wants to hear it."
-- Dogbert

#3 2003-08-11 20:21:56

Jagged

Good deal.  I had checked the sourceforge site and was stumped since there weren't any forums up nor any bugs applicable =

Nkawtg...n!

#4 2003-08-12 09:22:53

andy

Jagged wrote:

Allrighty I've been itching to play some Dark Sun and Dungeon Hack, figured I'd give dosemu a shot for this.

Personally I hate it when instead of an answer I get a suggestion to do something entirely different ... I'll do it anyways ;-) ... and it'll be a shameless plug ... :-) .... try dosbox, which is in incoming. At least Dark Sun is supported.

Board footer