You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-27 13:05:14

Father

Arch Installation - forced format of mount points

I installed arch 0.7 beta 2 a week or so ago and was wanting to use my old /home directory from a previous install (before anyway says.. no, i didnt feel like using my old install!!), when the arch installer asked me for any extra mount points, i chose home and selected the partition.. but the installer _demanded_ that it be formatted!!!

can this be changed to an _optional_ format (if the 0.7 final doesnt already do so), as i was forced to lose _alot_ of data.. yes yes yes i couldve backed it up but i cbf at the time.. no big loss anyway.. but it wouldve been alot easier if it had just asked..

thanks

#2 2005-01-27 13:08:11

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Arch Installation - forced format of mount points

thats a good point, in past i've always worked around it by not selecting a home partition and doing it manually later...

#3 2005-01-28 06:54:41

Father

fyi, ive added this to the bug tracker

#4 2005-01-28 06:59:01

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

well, the alternative would be to not have arch deal with that partition at all as part of the install. Just use / for example.
then upon first boot, edit your /etc/fstab accordingly.

Still, it would be nice to have an option for format the directory or not..like when choosing filesystem, you could have an option like: "use existing filesystem on partition".
or something similar

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-01-28 16:18:26

sarah31
Website

All you do is not select the existing mount point and edit the fstab during install to account for the partition. You will still need to create the user and change many of the permissions on the files and directories in the directory though as they will likely be a bit screwed up.

Perhaps because of the latter point is why this feature has never been added to the installer.  I don't know how easy it would be to get everything fixed up just right so that on boot the /home directory (or whatever). is exactly the way it was before.

just something to consider I do think this would be a good feature if it can be created. Though again there are issue that I think should take precidence over it for now.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2005-01-29 02:31:15

stonecrest

Maybe I'm missing something but I installed Arch 0.6 very recently and I certainly had the option to keep my /home directory because I did so and still have it wink Either they changed the way this works (why??) or it's a bug in the latest installer.

I am a gated community.

#7 2005-01-31 11:50:55

Father

im pretty sure it does
you go through and select all your mount points.. then once you push `done' it goes and automatically formats _all_ the partitions to the filesystems you set in one go..

obviously you can just add it to your fstab once you get the system going.. but its annoying.. and if the installer does it.. i dont know.. it just has that `clean' feel.. whenever i do something manually my system always feels that little bit `dirtier'..

Board footer