You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-10 18:31:24

measure

rootoverlay in larch && overlaying other partitions...

I searched/read, but was unable to find an answer to this, most likely because I am too dumb:

For clarity, is or is not the rootoverlay directory loaded into the ram? I assume it's not, but as I said I'm an idiot.

I plan to do a frugal install of larch on a compact flash card, and I would like to include some rather large packages to use while booted into the larch session.  These packages would never fit into my target machine's ram.  For example, texlive is an enormous package that I would like to be able to use (I believe it is over 1GB unpacked).  There are a couple of other packages of similar magnitude I also might like to put on the system later.  Should I be able to place them in rootoverlay to accomplish what I want?

Also, I plan on adding a user 'ryan' to the larch system.  What would be the smartest way to have a partition, say /dev/sdaX, be mounted as /home/ryan?  Would it be fine to do this in fstab, or will there be issues with aufs if I try this?  In this instance I would like /home/ryan/ separate from larch just in case something goes wrong and the changes are not saved.  Or is there a better way in general to go about this?

I suppose I am unusual in that I want the larch frugal install as my only OS on my computer (an IBM x40 with a compact flash card).

Oh and one last dumb question: I shouldn't have any problems running larch in a 32-bit chroot, right?

Anyway, thank you for creating larch, I think it will be perfect once I get everything sorted out.

Thanks,
Ryan

Board footer