You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-27 21:27:48

Hostile

[NEW] bitlbee

I was just searching the forums earlier and it seemed that someone in May of 2004 attempted to make a bitlbee pkg but didn't succeed so, I made a shot at it and got it to work. yay I guess smile.

PKGBUILD

# Contributor Logan Anteau <lanteau@gmail.com>

pkgname=bitlbee
pkgver=0.91
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Talk on the MSN, ICQ, Jabber, Yahoo!, and AIM networks with any IRC client."
url="http://www.bitlbee.org/"
license="GPL"
depends=('openssl' 'glib2')
source=(http://get.bitlbee.org/src/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
md5sums=('a2fa42959708fd06eb281f03a7d7d3fe')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  ./configure --prefix=/usr --ssl=openssl
  make || return 1
  mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/var/lib/bitlbee
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
  echo Running 'make install-etc'
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install-etc
}

[code]
[hostile]
Server = http://lanteau.homelinux.org/~lanteau/arch/hostile/
[/code]
PKGBUILDs available at http://lanteau.homelinux.org/~lanteau/arch/pkgbuilds/

#2 2005-09-17 08:27:03

fatblueduck

Re: [NEW] bitlbee

late, I know, but thanks

#3 2006-01-27 19:15:16

patroclo7

There is another PKGBUILD for bitlbee in the AUR, but if you happen to:
1)prefer gnutls over openssl;
2)prefer to install the configuration files in /etc instead of /usr/etc;
3)want to run bitlbee as a system service at boot as user 'nobody',
then you should try the PKGBUILD and the other stuff you can find here:
www.patroclo7.org/archsoftware/bitlbee.tar.gz

I posted this link (with a larger amount of arguments) also as a comment in the AUR, so the maintainer can eventually important (some of) the modifications.

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#4 2006-01-30 10:31:35

patroclo7

bitlbee is now in extra. However, the PKGBUILD in the package of the link above allows you to run it as a system service as user nobody, without enabling the daemon built-in mode (you can leave the default "RunMode=Inetd" in bitlbee.conf). This can be done also through xinetd with the package in extra, but then xinetd is a dependency. I do not want to use xinetd, since I do not need it for any other reason. May be someone else has the same need, so feel free to test my PKGBUILD.

#5 2006-02-04 22:34:55

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

The only reason I didn't throw in the daemon mode in the [extra] package is because their site makes it pretty clear that daemon mode isn't for production use. As soon as the authors talk about it with some confidence, believe me, I'm changin it smile

Also, I ought to mention that there is no need to run as nobody.nobody now, there is a dedicated user/group bitlbee.bitlbee, UID 65 GID 65 . Check out the install file from the extra package to see how to handle this.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#6 2006-02-05 09:50:37

patroclo7

Yeah, I realized you are right, and that the arch way is just to create a specific user, as in your package. You are also right that is better to wait for the stabilization of the built-in daemon mode. So I did not mean to criticize your package in any way. smile

Nonetheless, may be that the alternative pkgbuild can be useful to someone, who wants to test the new daemon mode, minimizing the eventual security impact thanks to the bitlbeed script the developers provide in utils.

#7 2006-02-05 21:07:14

codemac
Website

Don't they have a stable ForkDaemon mode?  Where it forks a new process for each login on the daemon.  It says on the bitlbee site that's what they are using for their public servers.

#8 2006-02-05 21:27:24

patroclo7

codemac wrote:

Don't they have a stable ForkDaemon mode?  Where it forks a new process for each login on the daemon.  It says on the bitlbee site that's what they are using for their public servers.

I do not seem how to activate such an option in their actual software release.

#9 2006-02-05 22:13:42

patroclo7

In fact, if you read in their site, it is clearly stated that the forkdaemon mode is included only in the development version (IPC branch). They also state that it is largely equivalent to the inetd-xinetd mode (implemented through xinetd in the package you can find in [extra]) and to the bitlbeed mode (implemented in the alternative PKGBUILD at the link above). On the contrary, the full daemon mode is declared to be "still not very reliable".

Board footer