You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-12 01:02:38

corsakh

Splitting a job into a new user

Sup,

I am currently using my Arch system for two types of activities:

A) Typical browsing and productivity software. Lots of stuff open, running under KDEmod.
B) Windows XP in VirtualBox running a lot of flash applications simultaneously. Because of all the flash its a big resource hog eating through two cores and 4 GB of ram practically in no time. Its not caused by VM overhead, its just naturally very hungry.

I was thinking if starting openbox on a second display and moving the VM over there would give me a performance increase. Or perhaps even creating a new user under openbox specifically for running the VM. Does this have any merit or not?

#2 2010-04-13 03:15:19

lagagnon
Website

Re: Splitting a job into a new user

Running OpenBox versus KDE would free up about 350MB of RAM. That plus the fact there would be less processes clogging up the system might help you out, but only slightly. May not be that noticeable. Why are you running the flash stuff simultaneously under Windows using VirtualBox is the question I would have to ask! 

If it were me I would use just OpenBox, run Flash in a Linux browser and forget the VB.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2010-04-15 09:14:56

corsakh

Re: Splitting a job into a new user

It is mostly flash but it still requires Windows interface. Does not work with wine either. I am stuck to either rebooting half a dozen times a day or using it in a VM. Or buying another box I guess.

Last edited by corsakh (2010-04-15 09:15:18)

Board footer