You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-12 11:12:58

aragorncito

Dual boot (Windows Vista + Archlinux)

First hello people, this is my first post.I need some guidance here. I installed Archlinux in my laptop ( DELL XPS M1330) from a USB stick memory everything went smooth until i got to the grub part. I did it as the wiki mention I installed the grub at the /boot partition :

/dev/sda1  *  Windows Vista     NTFS    ( Marked as boot) 
/dev/sda2      Win Backups                NTFS
/dev/sda3      /boot                           ext2
/dev/sda5      /SWAP                         ----
/dev/sda6      /                                 ext3

I uncomment the windows part of the menu.lst . At boot Archlinux boots normally but when I want to boot linux , it blinks and takes me back to grub . Then with cfdisk I toggled to boot at /boot and unmarjed the original (Windows Vista ) and the same result then I toggled both /boot and Windows vista and the same result . What do you think I should do ??  I'm lost !! mad Thanks people.

#2 2010-04-12 16:20:05

Bregol

Re: Dual boot (Windows Vista + Archlinux)

aragorncito wrote:

At boot Archlinux boots normally but when I want to boot linux , it blinks and takes me back to grub .

Do you mean when you try to boot Windows it blinks back to grub, or when you want to boot linux it brings you back to grub?
Did you check your menu.lst to make sure that you adjusted what partitions it is looking for (remember, grub starts counting at 0, so sda1 will be (hd0,0) in grub)

Nai haryuvalyë melwa rë

#3 2010-04-12 19:41:16

aragorncito

Blinks when I try to boot Windows V., Linux boots normally and As I have Windows Vista at /dev/sda1 (hd0, 0) I just uncomment the last part of the menu.lst like this :

# Windows 
title Windows 
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

That suppose to boot Windows isn't it ?

#4 2010-04-12 23:50:03

Bregol

Yeah, thats the right thing.  The only thing I have different in my menu.lst is "makeactive" on the line before "chainloader +1":

title Windoze
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
savedefault 0

Not sure what makeactive is for, though.

Nai haryuvalyë melwa rë

Board footer