You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-13 04:30:54

Zerimas

Updating kernel w/o internet access/installpackages via local source?

I am trying to install Arch on my netbook, an Asus 1001p.  I managed to install the base system via the USB image, but the kernel supplied with that image is not new enough to recognize with my ethernet (it shows up but will not lease an IP address from my router) or my wireless card.  I was messing around with Ubuntu Netbook Remix, and my ethernet card did work with that version of the kernel.  Is there anyway I can update the kernel on my netbook by downloading the updated kernel package and putting it on a USB flash drive?  If so how would I go about doing that?  Alternatively, I could try downloading the latest compat-wireless release and compiling the module from source, but I am not super keen on that idea. 

By the way my ethernet card is an Atheros AR8132 and the wifi card is an Atheros AR2427.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

#2 2010-04-13 23:31:59

kyeana

Re: Updating kernel w/o internet access/installpackages via local source?

I have the same netbook, and haven't got the Atheros linux wifi driver to work yet. I would suggest using ndiswrapper from the core install (that does work, get the driver from the asus site), then doing a system upgrade (which will get the ethernet working).

If you do try for the Atheros linux driver, let me know how it works. I have been debating playing with it some more, but my laziness has gotten the better of me.

Good luck, and let me know if you need anything else.

Last edited by kyeana (2010-04-13 23:32:22)

#3 2010-04-14 17:16:18

Zerimas

I will try using ndiswrapper.  From reading the Ubuntu forums I have discovered that using whatever version of the kernel that the final release of Lucid Lynx  ships with will allow the use of the wireless card.  I don't particularly like Ubuntu, so I will keep playing with Arch--time permitting.

#4 2010-04-14 17:24:47

hokasch

If your wlan card works with the new kernels, you can install compat-wireless, a backport of the newest wireless modules to older kernels.

#5 2010-04-15 03:16:44

Daemonjax

Just use ndiswrapper with the winxp drivers from the atheros website.  compat-wireless did not get the wifi chip working for me (I also have a 1001P).  Once you get wifi up and going with ndiswrapper, it's pretty much smooth sailing with arch.

Last edited by Daemonjax (2010-04-15 03:18:26)

#6 2010-04-15 10:25:57

mcmillan

Since nobody's answered the original question, yes it is possible to update the kernel without the net connection. Just download the kernel26 and kernel26-firmware packages off any mirror and install with pacman -U (read man pacman for the details of the options).

#7 2010-04-16 17:29:52

nellmathew

another thing you can do is this (yes it uses a net connection, but this is what I did for my 1001p) :

1) install the arch base system using core iso (no need for ethernet or wireless).
2) boot up knoppix live-cd (it automatically detects the ethernet card, not wireless though).
3) chroot to your arch installation (allows you to use terminal as if you were in arch w/ ethernet).
4) pacman -Syu - all packages will be updated, after a reboot you have ethernet on arch.
5) figure out which approach you want to take to install wireless.

for further help using knoppix/chrooting:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … _Interface

i'm working on setting up the most compatible/stable arch installation for my 1001p. i'd like to set up a thread or a blog strictly for getting arch working on the 1001p/1005p/1005pe. over the weekend i'll try to get compat-wireless working, add native wireless support to the installation and post how I did it.

i rushed through this, let me know if it works out for you!

#8 2010-04-17 15:51:25

Zerimas

mcmillan wrote:

Since nobody's answered the original question, yes it is possible to update the kernel without the net connection. Just download the kernel26 and kernel26-firmware packages off any mirror and install with pacman -U (read man pacman for the details of the options).

Thanks! That did the trick! The wireless works perfectly now.

Board footer