You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-13 21:19:30

saft

Graphic design, desktop publishing, image management, web development?

I'm a university student studying graphic design in the uk. During workshops, we are basically only taught how to use Adobe CS4 on Macs. I've been looking into what tools are available for linux, hoping to find some quirky apps for creating/editing images, page layouts, managing large collections of images, developing websites, creating motion graphics, or producing my module file, which is a large document containing research including images, text, etc.

Looking around, the same software seems to pop up - gimp, inkscape, photoshop CS2 on wine (thanks for that, google!), latex, scribus. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for software, for any of the tasks listed above? Or any individual applications which perform a single aspect particularly well? Any software which has a more interesting use / function / outcome than the standard mac or windows equivalent? Something which might set my work or workflow apart from the technologically backward point-and-click mac users?

For example, I'm currently collating all my notes as a Zim wiki, with links to my briefs as PDF files. I can import text, images, and then export a wiki site with a custom css theme to give to my tutors when assessment comes. They'll love that cool It's not something I'd ever have considered doing on a Windows machine.

Go! smile

Last edited by saft (2010-04-13 21:21:27)

#2 2010-04-17 23:04:41

Unltd

Re: Graphic design, desktop publishing, image management, web development?

personally nothing can replace photoshop, gimp always feels more like a substitute rather than a replacement (IMO)
but in linux i prefer vim over any web development IDE, used a trial of dreamweaver CS4(on osx) and i feel that having an IDE supposedly simplifying workflow actually impedes it, so i use vim (with the syntax option) and thunar, firefox to code websites by hand (all tiled in dwm and sorted in workspaces)

WinterBook '08 - 10.6
Dell Dimension 5150 - Arch linux

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. ~ Shakespeare [Hamlet]

#3 2010-04-18 00:31:30

Berticus

Well I'm certainly not advanced, but I use gimp... Never felt comfortable with PS (any version). A friend of mine, on the other hand, is more comfortable with PS, but is trying out gimp after that whole fiasco about CS5 using something that gimp has had for years. For vector graphics, you don't really need anything beyond inkscape. Gimp covers creating/editing images and page layouts. For managing large collection of images, I just have the filesystem. I have a /common partition, and images go in /common/images. Then I can group certain images by "genre" I guess you'd call them. Wallpapers have their own directory sorted by resolution. I can just use something like:

% ls /common/images/wallpaper/**/*.{png,jpg}

If I needed a list of images. I could probably use awk and imagemagick to give me an html page with thumbnails.

When I write my lab reports, I use vim and LaTeX (haven't tried vim-latex yet). I can include whatever images and text I want. The text is usally split between several raw data files and the report itself. At first it may seem odd to type process instead, but after you make your own document classes, it all makes sense and you can start to really streamline everything.

For XHTML + CSS, I just use vim.

#4 2010-04-18 02:13:45

tawan
Website

i think blender is a genuine piece of quality 3D software. Big Buck Bunny was a very impressive movie made on it.

Inkscape and GIMP have their fans but are still growing in usability. Perhaps like Linux is best if you don't treat it like windows, gimp is also better if you don't treat it like photoshop, instead go with an empty mind and clean slate.

Linux does have a page layout tool I forgot the name but I have used it in the past and it was perfectly good.

Video editing is still young on Linux but PiTiVi is nice for most jobs.

#5 2010-04-19 10:03:44

DBerest

tawan wrote:

Linux does have a page layout tool I forgot the name but I have used it in the past and it was perfectly good.

Scribus

#6 2010-04-19 10:18:35

chpln

One thing I will not go without when doing web development (or just about any project for that matter), is version control.  I quite like git, though just about any VCS will do the job nicely.

I also use Gimp, Inkscape and LaTeX heavily.  Imagemagick, throw-away scripts and the web developer extension for Firefox often save me a whole lot of time.  Just about everything else I do with Emacs.

#7 2010-04-22 14:49:58

flammenwurfer

I've used Scribus for simple jobs, but it has along way to go.  It's not all that intuitive or powerful.  Definitely not a replacement for InDesign.

I would recommend KDEnlive for video editing.  Good interface and works very well.

Last edited by flammenwurfer (2010-04-22 14:51:10)

Board footer