You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-13 21:41:24

HommeBarbu

screen dies when closing x

Hey
I've had this problem for as long as I've run linux, even with other distros I think, and it's always kinda annoyed me, especially because when I research solutions, none of them seem to be the exact same as mine, or the solutions don't help.

Problem: After starting x, whenever I leave it (ie: killing x, logging off, switching tty's, even running vbetest) it makes my screen die and produce colorful horizontal lines, mostly blue with yellow. If switching virtual terminals, my screen comes back when returning to tty7. I'm using an nvidia geforce go 6600 if it helps. Does anyone know the cause of the problem and if they've ever heard of a solution?

Picture of screen:

DqvRJ.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 2010-04-18 23:31:46

empthollow

Re: screen dies when closing x

are you using proprietary drivers?, I have a nvidia 6200le and it works great with the nvidia drivers.

--empthollow
Check out my Arch based live distro http://fluxcapacity.99k.org

#3 2010-04-20 16:30:19

HommeBarbu

I am. I'm using the beta drivers, though I've tried the stable ones as well. I don't have this problem when not using the proprietary drivers though, nouveau and mesa work fine. But I enjoy dwarffortress too much to stick with nouveau for any length of time yet.

#4 2010-04-21 13:16:22

empthollow

I'm not sure what's causing that, have you tried going through nvidia-settings to see if there is some setting that might change the cards behavior. Or you could try running nvidia-xconfig again. It seems like a refresh problem or something.  I'm not expert of how video drivers work.    I'm with you on the drivers though, I love the extra speed & 3d acceleration that the nvidia drivers provide.

Last edited by empthollow (2010-04-21 13:17:36)

--empthollow
Check out my Arch based live distro http://fluxcapacity.99k.org

Board footer