You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-15 08:46:17

CleanCode

Migrating from Windows to Linux

Hello,

this is my first post, so I have to say that I am big fan of GNU/Linux. I love the philosophy behind open source world.

Right now, I am still Windows 7 user. But I am making my backups and I will be ready to move on soon. Unfortunately, I have very little Linux knowledge. So I need small help, actually big one. smile

What do I want?

Clean, fast, bleeding edge system. - ArchLinux

1)I've got laptop HP 4510s and the first issue is installing kernel 2.6.33+ because I need my wifi working (Broadcom bcm4312 rev 01). How can I do it the easiest way?

2) I want very clean and fast system, so I choosed Openbox as my window manager. My final dream looks like this [1] [2] [3].

What do I need for BlackWhite Theme?
Openbox, tint2, conky. What about gtk theme? What package should I use?

Can I use every single application even for Gnome or Kde with Openbox without having installed Gnome/Kde? How? Or can you describe me how it works, please?

3) Now applications:

Jabber (OpenPGP encryption) - Psi
Outlook - I like Kmail (Native OpenPGP support). Is it possible to have Kmail without whole KDE and with Openbox? Is Kmail fast?
Emacs, Nano - file editing (Emacs has steep learning curve so Nano is there only for emergency use.)
File manager - I am used to native Windows Explorer. But I would like to use efficient, productive tool (Emacs/Vim philosophy).
uTorrent - What torrent client is similar to uTorrent? I have such a great time with him.
FTP Client - I use FileZilla. What is you favourite in Linux?
Wifi Network settings - What can I use to have all my settings in system tray like at Windows?

Thank you for your answers! Live long and prosper Linux cool

Last edited by CleanCode (2010-04-18 18:58:23)

#2 2010-04-15 09:18:27

Ber
Website

Re: Migrating from Windows to Linux

1)  The easiest way would be to do nothing, the kernel in the repository is currently at 2.6.33-2 (http://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sort … =&limit=50).  You should update your system though.

2) I don't know anything about OpenBox sorry

3) - Kmail is fine, thunderbird also
- I'd say vim for text editing but it would be like discussing which beer is the best (it's a belgian one of course, but which?), everyone would have a different answer
- If you want a lightweight one Thunar is fine
- My favorite would be transmission
- gFtp
- network-manager? an OpenBox user might be of more help here

Regarding the applications, as I said it's all a matter of personal preferences, I'm a 100% sure you woudn't get twice the same combination of answers

Good luck, and don't be afraid to try different solutions, unlike with Windows installing/uninstalling programs leaves absolutely no trace on your system (except in the logs and cache)!

V=RI sweet V=RI

#3 2010-04-15 09:40:28

corsakh

I never used openbox but there are some really good black and lime screenshots posted in the openbox thread by tawan. If I were to use openbox I would probably steal his config and tweak it to the colors I like.

Look here for example

http://box-look.org/content/show.php/st … ent=120824

Last edited by corsakh (2010-04-15 09:41:18)

#4 2010-04-15 09:47:42

tlvb
Website

CleanCode wrote:

Can I use every single application even for Gnome or Kde with Openbox without having installed Gnome/Kde? How? Or can you describe me how it works, please?

This depends on if the app is just using the gui toolkits used with the respective environment (ie qt/gtk+), or if they are more integrated than that. The general answer is "probably", but you will of course still need to install the dependencies for the app, which might be more or less of the full environment depending on the level of integration.

I need a sorted list of all random numbers, so that I can retrieve a suitable one later with a binary search instead of having to iterate through the generation process every time.

#5 2010-04-15 09:59:59

hokasch

1.Just do a net-install over ethernet (supposing it works), and you will have the newest kernel at first boot.

2. Can I use every single application even for Gnome or Kde with Openbox without having installed Gnome/Kde? How? Or can you describe me how it works, please?

Gnome apps use Gtk, Kde apps use QT. You can have both toolkits installed, although sticking to one may be better performance-wise. Gnome and KDE are Desktop Environments, including loadsofstuff, whereas Openbox counts as Window Manager, since it does only draw your windows. You can pick everything else (panels, file manager, apps etc) yourself. Native gnome/kde apps may pull in a lot of dependencies, though. Also give the wiki a good read, its such a great resource.

edit: rrrr. always late.

Last edited by hokasch (2010-04-15 10:01:13)

#6 2010-04-15 10:10:29

Ramses de Norre

CleanCode wrote:

1)I've got laptop HP 4510s and the first issue is installing kernel 2.6.33+ because I need my wifi working (Broadcom bcm4312 rev 01). How can I do it the easiest way?

Just install arch and update your system, after a reboot you'll be running linux 2.6.33.

CleanCode wrote:

2) I want very clean and fast system, so I choosed Openbox as my window manager. My final dream looks like this [1] [2] [3].

I pass on this one.

CleanCode wrote:

See answers above.

CleanCode wrote:

3) Now applications:

Outlook - I like Kmail (Native OpenPGP support). Is it possible to have Kmail without whole KDE and with Openbox? Is Kmail fast?
Emacs, Nano - file editing (Emacs has steep learning curve so Nano is there only for emergency use.)
File manager - I am used to native Windows Explorer. But I would like to use efficient, productive tool (Emacs/Vim philosophy).

vifm on cli or thunar/nautilus for GUI.

CleanCode wrote:

uTorrent - What torrent client is similar to uTorrent? I have such a great time with him.

I have never used uTorrent but I really like transmission, simple but powerful.

CleanCode wrote:

lftp, that is cli though. If I really need a GUI I use fireFTP, a firefox plug-in.

CleanCode wrote:

Wifi Network settings - What can I use to have all my settings in system tray like at Windows?

Wicd works very good for me, I like it a lot better than network manager.

#7 2010-04-15 10:21:19

CleanCode

Thank you for your fast answers! I am aware of Archlinux Wiki and its reputation. You described it really clearly. I guess I will avoid Gnome and Kde apps. But I am still not sure, we will see.

I need also notes/tasks [to do list] on desktop. What do you use? Conky script? Kde/Gnome applet?

This is also great resource for pure OpenBox [link]

Last edited by CleanCode (2010-04-15 10:29:36)

#8 2010-04-15 10:33:02

CleanCode

I am so excited. Archlinux is really great distro. Community, documentation... I am so impressed! Big thanks to all of you!

#9 2010-04-15 10:47:54

hokasch

Title wrote:

Migrating from Windows to Linux [SOLVED]

wow, that was real quick! no seriously, good luck, and be prepared to spend a lot of time with google and the wiki in the beginning...

#10 2010-04-15 11:18:00

pickboy87
Website

CleanCode wrote:

The easiest way of doing this, is as others said is either update your Arch from the core release, or just use the net install CD. Check out the Beginners Guide on the Wiki.

I would look into LXappearance (sudo pacman -S lxappearance) and use that to modify your themes, as well as obconfig (sudo pacman -S obconfig). Those together should help your change your themes. I would also suggest creating a .themes folder in your home as well as a .icons folder first before tampering with lxappearance. If you're going to change how your mouse looks, look into creating a .Xdefaults file as well. You place all your themes/icons in the respect dot folders and lxapperance should find them.

Yes and no. Most apps that have a K in front of them or a G in front will pull in a ton of desktop dependencies. Some only use the GTK/Qt engine, but installing something like Akegrator (sp?) which is a KDE feed reader pulls in something like this:

pQ2HG.png

Not worth it in my opinion to install all that if you plan on just using openbox. Keep it lean and clean and try to use fairly lightweight apps (exceptions for me are VLC and SMplayer). That way updates too will be really small instead of 500+ megabytes of updates a week.

3) Now applications:

Kmail will probably pull in a ton of crap, probably best to avoid. I don't use an email client, but I've heard CLAWS is good.
Either Emacs or VIM would be good. Both have a decent learning curve, but I've always used VIM.
I like Thunar for file manager (if you use it, install sudo pacman -S thunar thunar-volman thunar-thumbnailers ffmpegthumbnailer thunar-archive-plugin thunar-media-tags-plugin). Otherwise PCmanFM is a second and fantastic choice.
utorrent, try Deluge (basically a clone). Not really THAT lighweight, so I would suggest either Transmission or rtorrent.
I don't use an FTP client, but I believe fillazilla is a good choice, otherwise dig around for a lightweight version.
Use either wicid or some other network manager. There's a couple in the wifi section of the Beginners Guide. If you use wicid, make sure to add it as a daemon.

Thank you for your answers! Live long and prosper Linux cool

Last edited by pickboy87 (2010-04-15 11:23:42)

#11 2010-04-15 12:40:11

CleanCode

hokasch wrote:
Title wrote:

Migrating from Windows to Linux [SOLVED]

wow, that was real quick! no seriously, good luck, and be prepared to spend a lot of time with google and the wiki in the beginning...

I know everything I need after a few posts. smile

You read my mind everyone. I looked at each recommended application and it is what I am looking for. Thank you!

#12 2010-04-15 12:56:59

archman-cro
Website

CleanCode, if your goal is to go lightweight as much as possible, go without gui network managers, like nm-applet or wicd, and use cli, write yourself a bash script which will automate your connecting process.

If your AP is wep protected, you can use these:

iwconfig wlan0 essid <your AP name> key <your AP's password in hex>
ifconfig wlan0 up
dhcpcd wlan0

If you use eduroam connection, like me, it can be handled with netcfg! smile

About your bcm4312: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_BCM4312
btw I use bcm4311 with b43 driver, works nice! smile

Enjoy Arching! smile

Last edited by archman-cro (2010-04-15 13:04:14)

#13 2010-04-15 13:16:18

CleanCode

Another question:

Which shell do you recommend for beginner? Or where can I compare them?

Last edited by CleanCode (2010-04-15 14:10:48)

#14 2010-04-15 14:19:04

hokasch

Bash - but you probably meant which terminal emulator. I would add xfce's "terminal" to that list, but they're all just a pacman -S away, so just try out and pick what you like.

#15 2010-04-15 14:38:26

JohannesSM64
Website

zsh is better than bash. fish is more beginner friendly but less powerful.
edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison … and_shells

Last edited by JohannesSM64 (2010-04-15 14:49:03)

#16 2010-04-15 15:10:10

pyther
Website

Although what johannessm64 stated is true I would suggest using bash as that is what the majority of linux distributions use and many scripts out there are written in bash.

**Side Note:** I fail to see what the big deal about pulling in gnome/kde depends are. It isn't like hard drive space is scarce these days. Maybe for those that have a cap on their net connection, then I might see it. It isn't like the libraries are using up resources (besides some minimal disk space).
/rant

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#17 2010-04-15 16:49:08

CleanCode

It isn't like hard drive space is scarce these days. Maybe for those that have a cap on their net connection, then I might see it.

Well, aren't gnome/kde apps slower than lightweight apps?

#18 2010-04-15 17:58:33

quigybo

You will require a lot more ram if you are running apps using more than one graphical toolkit at a time. Gnome/kde apps aren't slower by definition, it just happens to be that way in practice sometimes (quite often). They will almost always require more ram to run, and thus will take longer to start. Keep in mind the difference between gnome/kde (desktop environments) and gtk/qt (graphical toolkits). For example there are quite a few lightweight gtk apps that do not require gnome libraries. Actually openbox + gtk is a common combination. The best advice I can give is to check the dependency list for every app you are considering installing, and see if it for example only needs gtk or some gnome libraries too.

As far as your requested apps are concerned, I recommend claws-mail, transmission or rtorrent + screen, and wicd, plus everything already mentioned above. Using openbox you could also consider wifi-pipe by brisbin33 as an alternative to wicd, it uses netcfg and you control it through an openbox pipe menu (btw pipe menu's rock, check them out when you start playing with scripting).

On an unrelated note, does anybody know where I can get the wallpaper from the first screenshot (http://upload.centerzone.it/images/2sqo … ebonbh.png) from? I haven't seen it before but really like it.

#19 2010-04-15 18:23:55

hokasch

@ quigybo:

1. google openbox screenshot enrico (user name from screenshot)
-->Openbox Hacks and Config Thread

2. check rent0n's profile
--> http://rent0n86.deviantart.com

3. Arkid
--> damask.blue

boy, am I procrastinating.

#20 2010-04-15 19:19:32

CleanCode

What about OpenOffice? Is it running without problems only with GTK?

Last edited by CleanCode (2010-04-15 19:39:15)

#21 2010-04-15 19:47:36

hokasch

You can check dependencies in the package database. Openoffice definitely does not count as "lightweight"... abiword is a an alternative, but I never got used to it.

But seriously, I wouldn't worry too much about it right now - first get your basic setup running wink

#22 2010-04-15 23:33:16

quigybo

@CleanCode: as hokasch said openoffice is far from lightweight, but while abiword and gnumeric are decent alternatives to word and excel, I havent really found any good alternatives to powerpoint yet. As far as making presentations in a different workflow is concerned though, latex-beamer, jessyink and s5 aren't bad. There are a few databases around with a list of alternative software for linux, such as http://www.linuxalt.com/

@hokasch: haha thanks, I got rtfg'ed. I should have known it was one of our own that made the screenshot. My comment was a bit of an afterthought that I should have searched better for before posting. Cheers anyway.

#23 2010-04-16 01:01:19

hokasch

quigybo, nevermind - wasn't meant in a rtf*-way at all.

#24 2010-04-16 07:52:39

CleanCode

quigybo wrote:

@CleanCode: as hokasch said openoffice is far from lightweight.

Is OpenOffice that slow compared with Abiword/Gnumeric? I use it sometimes and I think it is ok. I don't use word processors very often, so I suppose I don't need heavyweight wordprocessor. I like lightweight system, but I am not fanatic. I tried Abiword at Puppy Linux, but it didn't seem right. Anyway I'll still give it a shot. But the lack of presentation app is a problem.

I am doing now final backups. I am looking forward to Arching. Don't worry, I won't give up. cool

Last edited by CleanCode (2010-04-16 08:06:48)

#25 2010-04-16 08:53:49

archman-cro
Website

CleanCode, i'd go with Gnumeric and Abiword, since I didn't find OpenOffice really compatible with m$ products, which are mostly used. Or go with m$ with wine. ;D ^^

Happy Arching!

Board footer