You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-15 18:39:02

Kadajski

KDE Plasma desktop displaying nothing

Hey there,

My KDE has been working perfectly fine for a few months now, and today I decided to upgrade, and then I had to go out so I left my PC running while it downloaded/updated the packages. I then got back and realised my houses power tripped(:/) which I assume must have been during the time it was updating the KDE packages.

KDM loads fine and allows me to login, though when I log in I don't see anything. The cursor displays, the startup sound plays, though nothing else. If I press f12 to bring down yakuake it displays though says it cannot load the console required for yakuake to function(so I cant run any console functions from there). So anyways I decided to console login and install the kde packages again, it eventually did this and the problem wasn't fixed at all. I tried renaming my ~/.kde/share/config folder though the problem still exists.

How can I fix this problem? I'm in xfce atm.

*edit* It appears the yakuake/konsole thing is another unrelated(I think) error. I ran konsole within xfce and it works fine, though yakuake still gives me the error.

Last edited by Kadajski (2010-04-15 18:56:28)

#2 2010-04-15 20:35:44

Primoz

Re: KDE Plasma desktop displaying nothing

probably some important package like kdelibs or something similar is corrupted. try to use xterm in "KDE"; I don't know how you'll get it to start it...
You need to find out which file was corrupted. You could also clear your /var/cache/pkg/ of all KDE packages and install it again.
And when you do it do rename the .kde.

Also it could be the installed part of KDE that's is corrupted, if that's the case, you have to remove KDE and install it again, again clearing cache of KDE packages completely.
You can preserve your settings by renaming .kde (as you probably already know).

It has to be something of above, if it's not; I have no idea what is.

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#3 2010-04-16 06:34:03

lukrop
Website

Re: KDE Plasma desktop displaying nothing

The KDE 4 dot dir is "~/.kde4". Try to rename it. As Primoz said, you can also clear your package cache `pacman -Scc` and install kde again.

Board footer