You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-15 20:19:28

Ash-Lee

New to Arch. Hal issue?

I will start off by saying how quick and unbloated i am finding my Arch w/ XFCE install. big_smile

However, i think i have a problem with HAL? I followed the beginners Wiki from start to finish, i don't think anything went wrong.

I cannot mount the DVD drive, nor can i see my other NTFS drives. When i insert a disc it will show on the desktop with the title name, but when i click on it i get this error. Here is an example of a DVD i inserted, but it does the same regardless of media type.

Unable to mount "WATCHMEN_D1_EU":

Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.21" (uid=1000 pid=4689 comm="exo-mount) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member="Mount" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=2908 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))

It might be something obvious, but i had a look in the Wiki at the Hal section, and i reinstalled it and dsub etc but thats as much as i know.

#2 2010-04-15 22:17:35

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: New to Arch. Hal issue?

i guess you are using as login into xfce startx. you need to modify .xinitrc from 'exec  wm' to 'exec ck-launch-session wm'

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2010-04-16 14:24:32

tomislavski

wonder wrote:

i guess you are using as login into xfce startx. you need to modify .xinitrc from 'exec  wm' to 'exec ck-launch-session wm'

Hi, I'm having the same problem. I have followed the info on the wiki regarding the /etc/hal/fdi/information/*

but there is no such file on my machine. Also I have removed the automount options for the CD and DVD in the /etc/fstab, still didn't help.

There is a link here regarding the .ck in the xinitrc: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=59986, I have tried this and it doesn't still work.

All of the directories in the /etc/hal are empty, should I do some configuration myself in these directories? I'm a noob....

In my case the DVD and CD get recognized by Thunar, but they don't get mounted to /media/cd or /media/dvd directory...

I have been checking out the /etc/rc.d/hal script, because I wanted to add the --use-syslog option for the hald, so that I can see what is happening using dmesg... being noob, I didn't want to mess around with rc.d... is there a way to start the hald using this script so that HAL writes to sys logs? /etc/rc.d/hal -help just gave what it defined as help within itself {stop, start, restart} ....

I forgot to mention: my USB HDD drives of all sorts get recognized and mounted by udev rules without a problem... just additional info.

SOLVED: I just needed a full restart.

Not SOLVED: it works through THUNAR, when THUNAR is up, it mounts and creates the appropriate directories within /media dir, but without THUNAR, nothing get's mounted and no directories are created within /media.

Any advice?

Last edited by tomislavski (2010-04-16 16:10:01)

#4 2010-04-16 23:54:51

Ash-Lee

Solved!

Had to edit the Hal.conf file with the optical and storage lines displayed in the Hal wiki.

#5 2010-04-17 17:40:36

tomislavski

Ash-Lee wrote:

Solved!

Had to edit the Hal.conf file with the optical and storage lines displayed in the Hal wiki.

What did you copy? I have tried to add these lines to the hal.conf, but still, nothing works:

<policy group="power">
   <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement"/>
   <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel"/>
 </policy>

<policy group="storage">
   <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"/>
   <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.Crypto"/>
 </policy>

the user is a member of "power" and "storage" groups.

The USBs get mounted and the directories are created but for the CD-s or DVDs  nothing still happens. Only if I use Thunar, some of the CDs and DVDs get mounted in /media.

I have read the part about the .fdi file for problems with CD/DVD automount in the Wiki, but I don't have a etc/hal/fdi/information/media-check-disable-storage_model_$YOUR_DEVICE.fdi file anywhere, so there is nothing to edit.

Help? neutral

Board footer