You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-15 20:45:49

rusma

[partly solved] two problems after reinstalling arch (keyboard and ...

Hi

I have recently reinstalled arch on my laptop, and have run into two small problems regaring input.

(1) My keyboard layout is not recognized correctly in X. I have tried copying /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap and writing no (norwegean) instead of us, but it does not help. I do not have a xorg.conf. I do not remember how I did this last time. I have also checked my workstation, and it seems X recogizes the layout without any 10-keymap.fdi. I am really puzzled as of which driver to use; xf86-input-{synaptics,keyboard,mouse,evdev} is what I have now.

(2) I am trying to set up pm-suspend to run when I close the lid of the laptop. When I run it manually it seems to reset my keyboard rate (xset r rate 200 100) to something really slow. The rate is set from my .xinitrc when I start X manually. setxkbmap also seems to be reset by the pm-utils. Is it possible to set all this from hal (like the keyboard layout is supposed to work). 

It would be really helpful to get some nice advice on these.

Last edited by rusma (2010-05-10 07:31:29)

#2 2010-04-15 21:13:30

demian

Re: [partly solved] two problems after reinstalling arch (keyboard and ...

1)
You should delete xf86*keyboard and xf86*mouse and use only xf86-input-evdev.
Are you sure you copied the file 10-keymap.fdi in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/? Although i believe it has no influence on X you should also set the correct keyboard layout in rc.conf.

2)
I don't think you can specify those rate values in xorg.conf. At least the manual says nothing about it iirc.
But couldn't you just use acpid to set the values after opening the lid?

Btw: I just tried xset r rate 200 100. It's really weird roll.

Last edited by demian (2010-04-15 21:24:26)

no place like /home
github

#3 2010-04-15 22:10:06

rusma

Thanks for answering.

1) This is really difficult stuff. hal does not seem to recognize the layout at all - even after I've uinstalled -keyboard and -mouse. I've copied the 10-keymap.fdi backwards to policy/. I've set correct KEYMAP values in /etc/rc.conf (no-latin1).

2) Where and how do you recommend putting the xset line for use with acpid (what is defined as opening the lid? There is just closing of the lid in handler.sh)?

#4 2010-04-16 17:39:16

demian

2)
Have a look at this wiki entry. You should be able to adjust that to your situation.
For acpid have a look at this.
Laptop-mode-tools might be a third option to execute commands when switching acpi states.

1) Delete xorg.conf if you have one. Also try to switch the layout to something different or look for typos in 10-keymap.fdi and rc.conf. You might also want to check dmesg.log / Xorg.0.log or lshal if your keyboard get's recognized correctly or generally errors for that matter.
Don't really know what to say here since it should work.

Greets,
demian

Last edited by demian (2010-04-16 19:03:33)

no place like /home
github

#5 2010-04-19 13:16:32

rusma

I answer now after I've tried some more.

demian wrote:

2)
Have a look at this wiki entry. You should be able to adjust that to your situation.
For acpid have a look at this.
Laptop-mode-tools might be a third option to execute commands when switching acpi states.

Thanks for the useful links.
Creating hooks for pm-utils did not work so well. However, I think pm-utils is the problem here.
Writing a script for the action button/lid seemed to work pretty well, then I rebooted and both the keyboard and rate was reset as usual. Strange.
I have not tried out Laptop-mode-tools. Is it ideal?

1) Delete xorg.conf if you have one.

I've deleted/moved it.

Also try to switch the layout to something different or look for typos in 10-keymap.fdi and rc.conf.

<merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">se</merge> 
or 
<merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">ch</merge>

or something? What if hal do not work at all?

You might also want to check dmesg.log / Xorg.0.log or lshal if your keyboard get's recognized correctly or generally errors for that matter.
Don't really know what to say here since it should work.

I found these lines in Xorg.0.log:

262 (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
263 (**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
264 (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"

I've tried no, dk, se .... they are all the same.

Greets,
demian

Thanks.

#6 2010-04-24 10:57:48

rusma

*bUmP*

(dunno if this is a newbie question at all).

#7 2010-05-10 07:30:17

rusma

[partly solved]

I forgot to copy the 10-keymap.fdi from /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/ to /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ but instead just edited it where it was as I thought itr was not necessary.

Still, the keyboard rate is reset to slow speed after pm-suspending. How do I set this in HAL, exactly?

Board footer