You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-12 20:31:44

contrasutra

pacman problems

So I saw this posted on Slashdot:

http://gauley.ucs.indiana.edu/~cshields/dmca_letter

A company threatened to sue over the words "pac" and "man" in a package, and it WASNT pacman (the game).

Arch's package management system is actually called PACMAN. I think its a great name, but has anyone thought about the possible copyright violation and problems that may occur?

It'd just be a shame for such a great project like this to get into trouble.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#2 2003-08-12 20:36:24

Gyroplast
Website

Re: pacman problems

ESA has a good faith belief that the Internet site found at {IPAddress}
continues to infringe the rights of one or more ESA members by offering
for download one or more unauthorized copies of one or more game products
protected by copyright, including, but not limited to: [...]

Funny, indeed, but their problem obviously isn't the name, but the thought of a pirated copy of the game pacman being offered for download.

Even if someone would bitch about "pacman" bearing a striking similarity in it's name to a "trademarked" game, I highly doubt any legal persecution would yield results. For one there's simply no connection between the two things except for being computer programs and the name, and this package manager is not sold. If there's no profit made, things are waaay more forgiving in legalese land. smile

Greets,
  Dennis

"That's the problem with good advice. Nobody wants to hear it."
-- Dogbert

#3 2003-08-21 18:42:27

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

I have been curious about this as well.  I have some legal background (like I've read up on the DMCA and copyright and stuff like that).  My understanding is that pacman is in the public domain.  I was already there before the Sonny Bono act, so there can't be copyright issues.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2003-08-21 21:47:51

contrasutra

No, its not in the public domain. Its only from the '80s. I believe Copyright is now like 50 years (because of Disney).

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#5 2003-08-22 16:16:44

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Ah well.  It must have been some other aspect.  Like our pacman has nothing at all to do with their pacman, they just happen to have a similar name.  I can't remember exactly what it was, it was a while ago that I did this research.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#6 2003-08-22 16:41:29

Jagged

microsoft has a trademark on windows, but you still have windows in your house... same difference.  pacman is a trademark relative to the gaming industry, not the linux package management industry

Nkawtg...n!

Board footer