You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-18 06:02:19

mark.altern

After installation, the mobo LAN port is not working? urgent, help ple

I just installed archlinux on my new i7 860 Asus p7p55d-e Deluxe build, but after the installation the LAN port is not working anymore. Before this, this Lan port works perfect in windows as well as in the arch installation. But after the installation, the led is orange and is blinking slowly, windows complains that the cable is not properly plugged, and even arch installation can't pull DHCP from it also.

Luckily, the mobo has another lan port, so I have to plug the cable out and to the second port, but I couldn't seem to be able to find anyway to enable the first Lan port anymore?

Have you seen anything like this, what possibly is the reason?

Thanks, any help will be appreciated.

#2 2010-04-18 07:56:35

heleos

Re: After installation, the mobo LAN port is not working? urgent, help ple

If it's no longer working in windows or linux, I doubt it has anything to do with the arch install. There must be an option somewhere in the BIOS. my mobo has 2 lan ports as well, and I know that only one of them works in linux. Make sure you have your dhcp set up correctly in your rc.conf file

#3 2010-04-18 09:51:21

mark.altern

heleos, thanks for the reply, the first thing I check is BIOS. There is definitely nothing wrong with that, since I loaded the default one.

It is really strange, it seems no matter what I do, the 1st port which used to work, simple doesn't work, but the second one works fine.

But after some poking around with the "ethtool", it starts to work again. I have no idea what cause the disfunction and what magically heal it again.

Now I am really curious.

Last edited by mark.altern (2010-04-18 09:52:09)

#4 2010-04-23 01:34:31

mark.altern

Finally, I found out a thread on Ubuntu forum discussing a problems with realtek port, which is similar but not exactly the same with my problem. I tried their solution, which is:

1. turn off the computer
2. unplug the power, and wait for a 30 sec, so the card can reset when boot up.
3. then boot up again, the internet is back.

it turns out it works. The problem is that the linux kernel doesn't handle the reltek bios really well, and it's in kernel level. I guess my hardware is too new.

Board footer