You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-19 17:11:00

bowlesling

!disabled dbus and hal deamon

In an apparently massive and stupid experiment I disabled !dbus and !hal.

[Reason:/b]
I wanted to see what would happen if I disabled dbus and hal in /etc/rc.conf after installing udev (also placing the udev deamon in /etc/rc.conf).

[b]Consequence:
I have accidentally disabled my keyboard: splash screen for KDE4 comes up but I cannot log in; I cannot switch down to tty1; I cannot power off. I assume the cause is the disabled dbus deamon.

I tried accessing /etc from my Fedora 12 (which has the master boot), but no surprise that I get a mount error ("Error mounting: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda5" -- dev/sda5 is JFS Arch /root ; fc12 is ext4). There has to be a way to access my Arch root /etc directory ! (?? I hope).

I will soon try to access it through root in tty1 with a live CD.
Will update this post after I have tried this.

#2 2010-04-19 17:18:39

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: !disabled dbus and hal deamon

depending of how you start KDM you can start arch in different runlevel. If kdm is started from inittab then when you are in grub menu, select archlinux from menu, then hit "e" then select kernel line and hit "e" again. Then append init 3 at the end, confirm with enter and then hit "b".

If you start kdm from daemons, append init 1 to grub

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2010-04-19 17:34:04

bowlesling

That sounds way more efficient than going from CD. I have to teach now, but when my class is over I'll boot into a different runlevel from GRUB and re-enable dbus and hal. It should be no problem, I'll update. Thanks.

(oh yeah, and I figure the problem really is that hal is disabled because hal should start dbus even if it's not there... at least that's what wiki says. So I assume the real problem is

!hal

)

#4 2010-04-19 20:24:38

Surgat_

For the moment, keep hal (and not dbus) in your DAEMONS array. You can try xorg without hal by looking for some packages that there are on the AUR, and I think I read about a testing repo holding them too.

#5 2010-04-19 20:54:01

tomk
Forum Fellow

bowlesling wrote:

... after installing udev (also placing the udev deamon in /etc/rc.conf).

Unless you have massively customised your Arch config, udev was already installed - it's part of the base system, and by default Arch won't run without it. Also, it is run long before any other daemon - you wouldn't have any /dev/* if it wasn't - so putting it in rc.conf DAEMONS is superfluous.

#6 2010-04-19 21:11:48

bowlesling

[Sovled]
Thanks for info everyone. It is not pretty but this is what I did:

I appended  init 1 to my kernel boot in GRUB but when I logged in as root or user I got

--bash: /usr/bin/tty: No such file or directory

I could not get vi, vim, or emacs to work as a command. But I did

cd /etc
cat rc.conf

and could see my rc.conf.

Next I tried to append a new Daemons line to rc.conf and it didn't seem to work so I just tried to write to it directly:

DAEMONS=( ... dbus hal ... kdm) > /etc/rc.conf

This had the (wierd?) effect of writing over the entire rc.conf file, leaving it completely blank. I rebooted into my Fedora and could access my /root mount again (which I couldn't before), so I went into /etc and just copied a backup of rc.conf.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS SOLUTION TO ANYONE. It is not reliable and I have no desire to recreate it (!!!).

#7 2010-04-19 21:18:57

skunktrader

bowlesling wrote:

[Sovled]
Next I tried to append a new Daemons line to rc.conf and it didn't seem to work so I just tried to write to it directly:

This had the (wierd?) effect of writing over the entire rc.conf file, leaving it completely blank. I rebooted into my Fedora and could access my /root mount again (which I couldn't before), so I went into /etc and just copied a backup of rc.conf.

Might have worked better with an echo

#8 2010-04-19 21:52:52

some-guy94

bowlesling wrote:

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS SOLUTION TO ANYONE. It is not reliable and I have no desire to recreate it (!!!).

Doing > overwrites anything in the file, >>Appends text.
Like skunktrader said, you would want an echo there and well.

Board footer