You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-22 02:38:14

psrivats

I bricked my laptop trying to - please help! [SOLVED]

I am a new arch user (been running ubuntu for a few years, so not new to linux). I have a thinkpad R50p with a ATI Mobility FireGL T2 with 128 MB. I recently updated my arch install using pacman and had been having issues with hibernate/suspend. I was using uswsusp before the update and it was working properly before the update to 2.6.33.2-1. Reading the arch wiki, I thought that it had to do something with the default KMS in the kernel.

So I went ahead and did the following per the wiki to start KMS early in the boot process:

1. Remove all vga= and video= options from the kernel line in the bootloader configuration file (/boot/grub/menu.lst for GRUB users).
2. Add radeon to MODULES array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. (My MODULES entry was blank before)
3. mkinitcpio -p kernel26
4. Add radeon.modeset=1 to the kernel options in the bootloader configuration file to enable KMS. 
5. Reboot the system.

Before rebooting I checked and made sure that my rc.conf did not have any entry called radeon in the MODULES array.

However, I cannot boot my machine anymore (even fallback fails). It simple stops at this point:

Running hook [uresume]
resume: libcrypt version 1.4.5

How do I get my machine to boot again?

Last edited by psrivats (2010-04-22 03:06:30)

#2 2010-04-22 02:42:02

psrivats

Re: I bricked my laptop trying to - please help! [SOLVED]

update: I just tried booting with radeon.modeset=0 and was able to boot.

I feel dumb for posting this without trying the above option first.

Last edited by psrivats (2010-04-22 03:07:14)

Board footer