You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-22 05:14:18

gonX

Signing off packages for testing...

I couldn't find anything on this, but who can sign off packages in testing? Arch developers only? Or anybody?
Are there any specific ways of testing stuff? I'd like to help out. I'm currently subscribed to the mailing list.

since 2009

#2 2010-04-22 05:17:54

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Signing off packages for testing...

Just add the [testing] repo and report if you have any problems (to [arch-general]). Make sure you're on [arch-dev-public] (you didn't specify which ML).

You can't sign-off unless a dev specifically requests user signoffs (for less-used packages which aren't relegated to [community]).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-04-22 05:17:56

Allan
Pacman
Website

For most packages, only developer signoffs are needed.  Usually when a user signoff is requested, the signoff email will be sent to the arch-general list as well and those are normally for software of lesser use (drivers, some networking packages etc).

#4 2010-04-23 01:37:32

gonX

What are developers defined as? People who actively develop using the packages on Arch Linux (such as Allan), or people which are just generally interested in Linux?
And yes, I'm subscribed to arch-dev-public.

Thanks for the answers so far. If I understood it correctly, users (not only developers) who encounter problems using testing, can submit eventual bugs experienced with the new packages to arch-dev-public, right?

Last edited by gonX (2010-04-23 01:37:46)

since 2009

#5 2010-04-23 02:02:25

Allan
Pacman
Website

Developers are defined as the "Arch Linux Developers".  i.e. the people who do the packaging and other work around here.

Anybody can report bugs in [testing] packages.   Use the bug tracker (link above) rather than the mailing list.

#6 2010-04-23 02:11:41

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

For reference, you can't post to [arch-dev-public] (I've tried it before), its read-only for non-devs.

There's also been a bit of noise on [arch-dev-public] (about 2-3 months ago?) about getting a new category 'testers' to supplement the current devs and TUs. Basically a group of people who are trusted to say 'yes this package in [testing] works' but not to actually upload packages etc.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2010-04-24 01:35:56

gonX

Oh I see. That seems to have answered all my questions. Thanks all!

since 2009

#8 2010-04-30 07:46:00

ffjia

ngoonee wrote:

For reference, you can't post to [arch-dev-public] (I've tried it before), its read-only for non-devs.

There's also been a bit of noise on [arch-dev-public] (about 2-3 months ago?) about getting a new category 'testers' to supplement the current devs and TUs. Basically a group of people who are trusted to say 'yes this package in [testing] works' but not to actually upload packages etc.

It's read-only for non-devs? I remember seeing "User signoffs are fine" some day, does that mean non-devs can signoff?

#9 2010-04-30 09:46:16

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

ffjia wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

It's read-only for non-devs? I remember seeing "User signoffs are fine" some day, does that mean non-devs can signoff?

For those, send the signoff to [arch-general].

Board footer