You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-23 15:04:49

matt_garman

Optical drive eject button

Whenever I use the physical eject button on my optical drive, the disc tray ejects, then immediately goes back in. The second time I press eject, it stays open. This happens at least with DVDs (not sure about CDs).

Does anyone have any idea what causes this? When I press eject, I'd prefer the drive to just stay open.

This doesn't appear to be Arch-specific, as it happened before when I was using Ubuntu.

My hunch is that something (kernel/daemon/process) takes control of the optical drive, but I'm not sure what that is.  For example, if I'm not booted into Linux (e.g. in the BIOS setup), the optical drive button operates as I would expect (i.e. not automatic tray closing).

Thanks,
Matt

#2 2010-04-23 16:07:11

brisbin33
Website

Re: Optical drive eject button

i've been having some eject issues lately.  not sure how "big hammer" you want to get, but adding the following to /etc/sysctrl.conf solved my nagging issues:

# Never lock the cdrom tray
sys.dev.cdrom.lock = 0

you'll need a reboot to see the change. 

(yes, there's a way to echo 0 > /sys/proc/something so a reboot's not required, but i can't remember it.)

#3 2010-04-23 16:32:07

harv

Re: Optical drive eject button

I'm pretty sure there is an open bug report report for this issue here:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18704

Add your vote if you haven't already.

From my research it looks like a udev problem and a patch has been committed upstream
so hopefully Arch devs will deal with it shortly.

I'm new to Arch so don't know how fast things work around here.

Board footer