You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-25 02:34:40

starfox

Installing a driver for my capture card

Hey everyone,

I have the newest version of arch install and I'm running xfce. I'm trying to install a driver for my USB capture card. I found it here for linux: http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/pvrusb2.html

My plan is to use it with mythtv, which I've heard good things about. Apparently this device works fine with it: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_WinTV-PVR-USB2

So here's my newb question. If you have a driver or piece of software that you want to load, but it's not in the repositories, what's a good method for doing that? A friend told me something along the lines of "pacman is great because you can make a package for any software and when you install it, it's all contained in the [list of programs you've installed]." I'm butchering that, btw.

So with this driver, I tried following the instructions they gave. First problem I ran into was that the directory it thought I had didn't exist. So I made it. Then it said something along the lines of "no method for ..." something. I looked in the Makefile but found no obvious problems, but I don't know what I'm looking for.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing this all wrong, because now my network card doesn't work anymore. smile

#2 2010-04-25 07:06:14

siriusb

Re: Installing a driver for my capture card

modprobe pvrusb2

I think it does the trick wink No need to build a package.

Edit:
Of course you can add this module to rc.conf module array, too.

Last edited by siriusb (2010-04-25 07:08:43)

#3 2010-04-26 00:06:27

starfox

modprobe pvrusb2

Worked without errors, so I went and added it to the rc.conf module array. But now, I'm getting an error about the firmware when I check dmesg.

pvrusb2: ***WARNING*** Device fx2 controller firmware seems to be missing.
pvrusb2: Did you install the pvrusb2 firmware files in their proper location?
pvrusb2: request_firmware unable to locate fx2 controller file v4l-pvrusb2-24xxx-01.fw
pvrusb2: Failure uploading firmware1
pvrusb2: Device initialization was not successful.
pvrusb2: Giving up since device microcontroller firmware appears to be missing.

So I downloaded the firmware from the first link above but the file is a .pl and I have no idea what to do with it.

Last edited by starfox (2010-04-26 00:06:50)

#4 2010-04-26 04:40:06

tom5760
Website

So I downloaded the firmware from the first link above but the file is a .pl and I have no idea what to do with it.

Try putting it with the same filename that dmesg reports in /usr/lib/firmware/

Board footer