You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-26 07:24:55

Busata
Website

Radeon X1300 (RV515) & xf86-video-ati + SDL performance = :-(

Hello,

We have a desktop on our appartment here that we just use to skype whenever we broke our laptops again & play fretsonfire whenever we're bored(which is alot wink). Untill yesterday it had xubuntu installed, but the latest updates broke the sound, and I found it was time to install arch on it, and see how it performs...

To the point! I tried all kinds of tweaks & tuning but I can't get the same performance anymore in frets(even though it's horribly coded).While glxgears isn't that much of a benchmark I reach about 595 fps(I don't remember however how good it did in xubuntu). Now I tried some of the performance tweaks in the ATI wiki article, I made sure I was added to the video group, I tried removing the Xorg file all together, no success. I then moved on to Xorg18 , which resulted in a performance loss of about 5 fps, so no real improvement either.

I also tried the radeonhd driver, this also resulting in an even more horrible fps!

After giving up for a while, I installed Frets on Fire X, some mod that seems to improve performance, etc, which seemed true, the game runs smooth & all, but! when installing one of the themes, tearing occurs at the top, and when the song actually starts it's all fooked up. I installed it on my laptop with the same theme & it runs fine, so I assume it's also related to the driver.

I don't know if the card is performing like it should be, but SDL(pygame?) rendering seems horrible compared to xubuntu, so I don't know what they do differently. And I do want to know before moving back wink. I don't think that xubuntu is going to use the catalyst driver by default, so I should be missing out on something. Any suggestions?

#2 2010-04-26 23:52:50

Belitsky.A

Re: Radeon X1300 (RV515) & xf86-video-ati + SDL performance = :-(

Same video card and same problem with performance. IMHO, we should wait for kernel 2.6.34.

Board footer