You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-26 09:08:08

Cdh

Why are ffmpeg and gstreamer dirac-free?

Today I wanted to test the dirac/schroedinger codec.
There is a gstreamer plugin for dirac - but only if schroedinger from community is compiled with --enable-gst. Which it is not.
ffmpeg also has support for dirac - but only when compiled with --enable-libschroedinger. Which it is not.

Also dirac-codec from aur does not compile because the unit tests are not correctly linked.

Is there a reason for not compiling dirac support in or has just nobody requested it so far?

฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

#2 2010-04-26 09:19:53

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Why are ffmpeg and gstreamer dirac-free?

Considering this is the first I've heard of it, perhaps it would just be another unnecessary dependency if compiled in? (I'd assume it would then depend on libschroedinger or something like that).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-04-26 09:22:29

wonder
Developer
Website

because  schroedinger is in community and ffmepg and gstreamer are in extra and we have rules about not breaking the repositories.

fill a feature request about including it.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#4 2010-04-26 11:09:43

Cdh

Your argument is valid for ffmpeg. sad
But what about schroedinger? The dirac wiki says it is schroedinger that provides the gstreamer plugin.
http://diracvideo.org/wiki/index.php/Sc … _GStreamer

The schroedinger library includes an optional gstreamer plugin which is compiled when '--enable-gst' is included on the configure line.

There the problem would be the other way around, I guess? schroedinger should not depend on gstreamer?

The main-problem is: One doesn't really get dirac files to play.
I recompiled ffmpeg and schroedinger with this options but neither totem nor mplayer can play dirac videos.

Vlc would support dirac files too but it is not compiled with --enable-dirac either.

In cases like this I think it is very annoying: There's a promising and "open" codec but it is kept out of every application and it is made not very easy for the user to get it to work...

#5 2010-04-26 11:25:35

Allan
Pacman
Website

wonder wrote:

fill a feature request about including it.

Just pointing this out again....

#6 2010-04-26 11:59:28

wonder
Developer
Website

gstreamer0.10-bad-plugins provides the support for schroedinger. rebuilding that having schroedinger will do the trick. also rebuilding ffmpeg doesn't have any effect for mplayer since is not using it. rebuild mplayer is the way

Last edited by wonder (2010-04-26 12:09:27)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#7 2010-05-02 09:41:04

Cdh

wonder wrote:

gstreamer0.10-bad-plugins provides the support for schroedinger. rebuilding that having schroedinger will do the trick.

I finally tried it and it did. Thank you. The schroedinger wiki was a bit misleading in suggesting that compiling the schroedinger package with the appropriate option would include the gstreamer support.

wonder wrote:

also rebuilding ffmpeg doesn't have any effect for mplayer since is not using it. rebuild mplayer is the way

You mean, rebuild mplayer to use ffmpeg and also rebuild ffmpeg to use dirac?

I filed a request:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19326
Because in my opinion it is important to support many codecs, even more if they are high quality open codecs.

Board footer