You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-27 00:36:29

cb474
Member
Registered: 2009-04-04
Posts: 476

system won't automount mp3 player anymore

Sometime in the last month or so, my system stopped being able to automount my simple Sansa Clip mp3 player, as a mass storage device. It used to work fine. I'm not sure after what upgrades it stopped working. My system will automount my cell phone and a USB drive fine, as mass storage devices. And if I boot into Ubuntu 9.10 it automounts the mp3 player without trouble.

I have these messages in /var/log/messages.log:

Apr 26 14:28:11 thinkpad61 kernel: usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
Apr 26 14:28:12 thinkpad61 kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
Apr 26 14:28:12 thinkpad61 kernel: scsi5 : usb-storage 1-3:1.0
Apr 26 14:28:12 thinkpad61 kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
Apr 26 14:28:12 thinkpad61 kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
Apr 26 14:28:37 thinkpad61 kernel: usb 1-3: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
Apr 26 14:28:38 thinkpad61 kernel: usb 1-3: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
Apr 26 14:28:45 thinkpad61 kernel: usb 1-3: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
Apr 26 14:28:45 thinkpad61 kernel: usb 1-3: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
Apr 26 14:28:46 thinkpad61 kernel: usb 1-3: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
Apr 26 14:28:47 thinkpad61 kernel: scsi 5:0:0:0: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
Apr 26 14:29:11 thinkpad61 kernel: usb 1-3: USB disconnect, address 3

Any ideas what might be going wrong?

I'm using 2.6.33 and Gnome 2.30.

Offline

#2 2010-04-27 12:19:14

nsa.wijayanto
Member
From: solo-id
Registered: 2009-09-29
Posts: 28

Re: system won't automount mp3 player anymore

Perhaps the problem lies on the kernel, since ubuntu 9.10 uses 2.6.31 and arch uses 2.6.33. Do you get this behaviour in kernel26-2.6.32-ARCH? if not, maybe downgrading the kernel would solve the problem.


Eee PC 2G Surf (700)

Offline

#3 2010-04-27 23:34:08

cb474
Member
Registered: 2009-04-04
Posts: 476

Re: system won't automount mp3 player anymore

No I was fine with 2.6.32. I'll try downgrading. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline

#4 2010-04-28 10:30:04

cb474
Member
Registered: 2009-04-04
Posts: 476

Re: system won't automount mp3 player anymore

Well, before I got a chance to downgrade the kernel, an upgrade appeared for the kernel, from 2.6.33.2-1 to 2.6.33.3-1. This seemed to solve the problem. Unless it was the upgrade of nautilus or one of the other packages upgraded today. But I suppose the kernel seems like the likely culprit.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB