You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-27 13:36:20

mwtengr

having problem starting Emacs from remote desktop, can anybody help

HI
when i run emacs in remote red hat desktop i get warning: Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct. and in the emacs window i can see lots of small squares instead of letters. can anybody help me out? I m using windows 7, and accessing red hat desktop remotely from other computer. I m not very familiar with linux nor emacs.
thanks in advance

#2 2010-04-27 15:54:35

Peanut

Re: having problem starting Emacs from remote desktop, can anybody help

The problem seems to be that Emacs doesn't recognize the configured font (Courier). A quick google also revealed that a similar issue over at the ubuntu forums was due to wrong font paths being set in xorg.conf.

Have you tried either changing which font you use in Emacs, or checking that the font you wish to use is properly installed? Do you configure Xorg manually through xorg.conf, and in that case have you checked that the FontPath elements in xorg.conf is set correctly?

[EDIT]
Sorry, I just noticed the part in your post about being new to Linux and Emacs, and that this is a remote Redhat machine.

You should first try to change the font used in Emacs. If that doesn't work, I suggest you contact the system administrator of the computer you're trying to access, and report this problem to him/her.

Last edited by Peanut (2010-04-27 16:04:53)

#3 2010-04-28 08:15:48

mwtengr

hi
thanks, i changed the fonts (FontMenue>Font set> Standard:16-dot medium), and it works fine. however, when i close emacs and started it and i need to repeat the same procedure again. Can i change this font so that it will be permanent.
regards

#4 2010-04-28 08:29:19

Peanut

Does this work?

Board footer