You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-28 07:34:59

onkel_keks

GStreamer/quodlibet: "output pipeline could not be initialized"

Hi folks,

I recently installed quodlibet as my music player -- it seems to be exactly what I've been looking for so long -- but unfortunately, it won't play any audio files. I tried everything that came to my mind, googled for it (of course...) but still the same problem:
When I try to play an audio file in quodlibet I get the messagebox "GStreamer output pipeline could not be initialized. The pipeline might be invalid, or the device may be in use. Check the player preferences."

First of all I have to mention that the very first time I tried quodlibet (on the same system of course) it actually worked for some odd reason.
When I encountered this error message my first thought was that it might be some permission issue. I confirmed that my user was in the audio group and tried running quodlibet with root user. Not even that worked, so I concluded that there was nothing wrong with my permissions.
Then I thought about what the error was telling me to do, namely check the player preferences. All you can set up there is a gstreamer pipeline, so I tried "alsasink" (the textbox was blank before so it used the default pipe which is supposed to work). Nothing.
Then I suspected there might be something wrong with alsa, so I installed XMMS, chose ALSA as my output module and played a mp3 file - worked out-of-the-box.
My next thought was that maybe GStreamer chose the wrong ALSA playback device (my modem instead of my soundcard or something like that), so I googled on how to configure GStreamer and came across gstreamer-properties. I installed that and set up the right playback device (test was ok), still the same error message in quodlibet. By the way, I also tried starting quodlibet from console to see if there was any debug output, but there is none. Also no verbose option.
I then tried rhythmbox which also appears to be using GStreamer. Upon trying to play an audio file, nothing happens but on the console I get:

Rhythmbox-Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|0.10|rhythmbox|GStreamer element autoaudiosink|element-autoaudiosink
Rhythmbox-Message: Automatic missing codec installation not supported (helper script missing)

Which is odd since I installed both gstreamer0.10 and gstreamer0.10-plugins group packages.

[xxxx@yyyy ~]$ gst-inspect-0.10 |grep alsa
alsaspdif:  alsaspdifsink: S/PDIF ALSA audiosink
alsa:  alsamixer: Alsa mixer
alsa:  alsasrc: Audio source (ALSA)
alsa:  alsasink: Audio sink (ALSA)

What on earth could be wrong here? It's so frustrating wasting hours and hours on such a stupid problem.

Thanks,
onkel_keks

#2 2012-01-12 23:19:32

venturiano

Re: GStreamer/quodlibet: "output pipeline could not be initialized"

Hi. I'm not an expert and I couldn't follow all of the steps that you've tried, so I'll just write what worked for me.
In the output pipeline box I wrote "alsasink device=hw:0,0".
"alsasink" alone wasn't enough.
hw:0,0 might not be right for you: to find out which was the right one, I ran
python -c 'import gst; print gst.element_factory_make("alsasink").probe_get_values_name("device")
as was suggested here: http://code.google.com/p/quodlibet/wiki/AudioBackends
Hope this helps,
Venturiano

Last edited by venturiano (2012-01-12 23:45:10)

Board footer