You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-29 18:47:27

some_other_linux_guy

Problem: Openbox and Compiz dual session with SLiM login manager

I have a little bit of knowledge with arch linux, I've only been using using it for a few weeks so i don't know everything. The wiki and forums have been useful, but i've come across a problem that i can't find on this forum/wiki or others.

My problem is when I log into a compiz-fusion standalone session my openbox session decides to launch first. I log out of the openbox-session but it doesn't exit out to slim it goes then to my compiz session. but all my programs that were running in the autostart.sh for openbox don't close they stay open. Then when i have apps in my compiz session autostart.sh run so i get mutiple apps running. How do i fix this problem? And how do i get my fusion-icon go in my lxpanel, instead of my tint2 panel for openbox? If you want to see my autostart files and my case statment for slim i'll post it.

#2 2010-04-29 19:27:18

evot

Re: Problem: Openbox and Compiz dual session with SLiM login manager

hmm.. few hints.

You should configure your .xinitrc and slim.conf to match with session you want to start. So only one WM/DE at time.
Wiki explains those.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinitrc
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Slim

If you mean that you want to choose from multiple sessions in slim. There is some experimental for that in wiki.

I always choose to configure only one session to start at time and else are commented out.
If i want to change my WM/DE i reconfigure those files.

Hope that gives some info you need. smile

Last edited by evot (2010-04-29 19:33:35)

#3 2010-04-30 14:42:36

some_other_linux_guy

Thanks for the quick reply, but i guess i should have put a few more details in.
First on the configuration, i have slim configured to have F1 to choose either and open box session or a compiz session, and a default for compiz. Below is the setup of the .xinitrc file:

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
#
DEFAULT_SESSION= ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session --sh-syntax openbox-session
#
case $1 in
#
openbox)
    exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session --sh-syntax openbox-session
    ;;
#
compiz)
    exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session --sh-syntax /usr/local/bin/start-fusion.sh
    ;;
#
*)
    exec $DEFAULT_SESSION
    ;;
#
esac

The SLiM config file is setup up with the session line "session         openbox, compiz " to match the case statement, but looking at the file now i think that i should have added ck-launch-session to my compiz line. I'll try that, but if that isn't the solution what else should i look for.

My start-fusion.sh file is setup as below, i'm not sure if i can delete somethings in the file:(i wasn't sure how i was to set this file up as there were different setups, and i couldn't get it to launch until i added the path to the sh file in .xintrc)

#!/bin/bash
cd /home/archone
#
eval 'dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session'
#
/usr/bin/X :0.0 -br -audit 0 -nolisten tcp vt7 &
#
export DISPLAY=:0.0
#
sleep 1
#
compiz-manager decoration move resize > /tmp/compiz.og 2>&1 &
#
lxpanel &
cairo-dock -o &
gsynaptics-init &
nitrogen --restore &     
wicd-client &
/usr/bin/xbindkeys &
compiz ccp&
emerald &
fusion-icon

thanks for the help.

#4 2010-05-02 02:20:16

rransom

$ FOO= echo foo
foo
$ FOO= "echo foo"
dash: echo foo: not found
$ FOO=echo foo
dash: foo: not found
$ FOO="echo foo"
$ $FOO 
foo
$

Remove the space between DEFAULT_SESSION= and ck-launch-session, and enclose the value you want to assign to DEFAULT_SESSION in single quotes.

Alternatively, replace your case statement with the following:

case "$1" in
compiz)
  exec ...
  ;;
openbox | *)
  exec ...
  ;;
esac

Board footer