You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-29 20:19:59

Arcadefun

[Solved] Installing 'Sleep is Death' (no libsdl-dev)

I am having trouble installing the game www.sleepisdeath.net in arch 32bit (well...chakra really but same difference wink)

It needs the dev packages for 3 libraries, and I am stuck on trying to find the first one libsdl let alone the other 2 (all listed here http://sleepisdeath.net/compileNotes.php)
Its not in any of the repos or aur that I can find, and I can't find its source tarball either to attempt doing it that way (something I might need help with, never installed from source before!)

Thanks!

Last edited by Arcadefun (2010-04-30 03:09:59)

#2 2010-04-29 20:31:41

loafer

Re: [Solved] Installing 'Sleep is Death' (no libsdl-dev)

sdl is in the repos at version 1.2.14. Which version do you need?

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2010-04-29 20:37:57

Arcadefun

Oh ok I see it thanks. When I searched for libsdl it did not show up, searching for just sdl shows it. But I already had it installed, so I think the installation isn't working because its not the dev package (the compile notes are very specific about it needing to be the dev packages). Where are those located?

#4 2010-04-29 21:02:43

Peanut

Arcadefun wrote:

But I already had it installed, so I think the installation isn't working because its not the dev package (the compile notes are very specific about it needing to be the dev packages). Where are those located?

Arch doesn't have any dev-packages. Many distributions split upstream software in two parts, one needed for running applications (libsdl) and one needed only during compilation (libsdl-dev). Arch has the policy of including development files in the same package as the runtime libraries, so installing sdl should have been enough.

What kind of problems do you have while installing this application? Can you provide more details?

Last edited by Peanut (2010-04-29 21:03:32)

#5 2010-04-29 21:18:52

Arcadefun

Sure, here is my output from executing runToBuild in the installer:

select platform:
  1 --  GNU/Linux
  2 --  MacOSX
  3 --  Win32 using MinGW
  q --  quit

> 1
Building miniUPNP...
cc -fPIC -O -Wall -DNDEBUG -DMINIUPNPC_SET_SOCKET_TIMEOUT   -c -o minixmlvalid.o minixmlvalid.c
make: cc: Command not found
make: *** [minixmlvalid.o] Error 127
Building SleepIsDeath...
Makefile:587: Makefile.dependencies: No such file or directory
Makefile:810: Makefile.minorGems_dependencies: No such file or directory
rm -f Makefile.minorGems_dependencies
g++  -Wall -g  -DLINUX  -O0 -I../.. -c -I../.. -MM ../../minorGems/graphics/openGL/ScreenGL_SDL.cpp ../../minorGems/graphics/openGL/SingleTextureGL.cpp ../../minorGems/io/linux/TypeIOLinux.cpp ../../minorGems/util/stringUtils.cpp ../../minorGems/util/StringBufferOutputStream.cpp ../../minorGems/io/file/linux/PathLinux.cpp ../../minorGems/system/unix/TimeUnix.cpp ../../minorGems/system/linux/ThreadLinux.cpp ../../minorGems/system/linux/MutexLockLinux.cpp ../../minorGems/graphics/converters/PNGImageConverter.cpp ../../minorGems/util/TranslationManager.cpp ../../minorGems/network/linux/SocketLinux.cpp ../../minorGems/network/linux/HostAddressLinux.cpp ../../minorGems/network/linux/SocketClientLinux.cpp ../../minorGems/network/linux/SocketServerLinux.cpp ../../minorGems/network/NetworkFunctionLocks.cpp ../../minorGems/network/LookupThread.cpp ../../minorGems/network/web/WebRequest.cpp ../../minorGems/util/SettingsManager.cpp ../../minorGems/system/FinishedSignalThread.cpp ../../minorGems/crypto/hashes/sha1.cpp ../../minorGems/formats/encodingUtils.cpp ../../minorGems/io/file/unix/DirectoryUnix.cpp ../../minorGems/network/upnp/portMapping.cpp ../../minorGems/util/log/Log.cpp ../../minorGems/util/log/AppLog.cpp ../../minorGems/util/log/FileLog.cpp ../../minorGems/util/log/PrintLog.cpp ../../minorGems/util/printUtils.cpp >> Makefile.minorGems_dependencies.temp
/bin/sh: g++: command not found
make: *** [Makefile.minorGems_dependencies] Error 127
cp: cannot stat `SleepIsDeath/gameSource/SleepIsDeath': No such file or directory
Run SleepIsDeathApp to play.

--
but along with the errors there is also no SleepIsDeathApp

#6 2010-04-29 21:23:54

knopwob
Website

looks like you don't have have g++ on your system. It's part of the package gcc.

Edit: well, since you're compiling the program from source, maybe you should install the group base-devel. It contains all the basic packages commonly needed to build something from source.

Last edited by knopwob (2010-04-29 21:25:31)

#7 2010-04-30 00:33:57

Arcadefun

Thanks! Problem solved
I grabbed the base-devel group and that solved it. The only issue left was it only ran if I executed from the terminal, so if anyone else trying to play this game is just getting a black windowed box when trying to run the game, that is why. I made a shortcut to the application that tells it to run in terminal and all was solved.

PS. How do I change the post title to include the [Solved] text?

Last edited by Arcadefun (2010-04-30 00:37:35)

#8 2010-04-30 01:38:31

alexandrite

Arcadefun wrote:

Thanks! Problem solved
I grabbed the base-devel group and that solved it. The only issue left was it only ran if I executed from the terminal, so if anyone else trying to play this game is just getting a black windowed box when trying to run the game, that is why. I made a shortcut to the application that tells it to run in terminal and all was solved.

PS. How do I change the post title to include the [Solved] text?

When you edit your first post, there is a "topic" textbox above the "message" textbox.

Board footer