You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-30 07:03:41

HackBug

[Solved] Laptop Lid + Intel KMS + X issues

Ok, I've spent a long time going through and trying to find out what the problem is, but every solution I've tried so far hasn't worked.

As far as I can tell, I have the bug listed on the wiki here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Int … laptop_lid

Except, the workaround listed there does not fix the problem, and I have a few strange inconsistencies with what I see other people reporting their problems as being. For example, a lot of people say switching to another VT regains the screen for them, but it does not for me. Once this problem occurs, it makes the laptop unusable. It is still accepting key inputs however, I know this because I can type "sudo reboot" and it will work. This problem also only occurs when I use the laptop lid to suspend, suspending via a acpid event tied to my power button, and by typing "sudo pm-suspend" work just fine. Also, if I completely kill my X server, it will suspend and resume just fine by using the laptop lid.

I've seen reports that this problem has been fixed with the latest kernel update, but I have not had such luck. I am running a completely up-to-date system. I imagine I can get this working by turning off kms, but I would rather not, having hitting the power button every time is not that bad a trade off for the benefit of KMS.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite U405 with an Intel GM965 chipset. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: My problem eventually solved itself with an update. I'm not sure, but it was either the 2.11 intel drivers, the 1.8 xorg, or the 2.6.34 Kernel that fixed this problem for me.

Last edited by HackBug (2010-06-21 10:24:24)

#2 2010-05-02 07:16:57

HackBug

Re: [Solved] Laptop Lid + Intel KMS + X issues

First and last bump. Really? No one has any ideas?

#3 2010-05-05 11:15:14

pennguin

I've u305 and my work around is to close lid again after resuming (and having black screen), Open lid, switch to another VT, then back again to X. After that screen is working again. Hope it helps.

Last edited by pennguin (2010-05-05 11:17:25)

#4 2010-05-06 07:23:06

HackBug

Huh... That is one hell of a workaround, but it works. Thanks a ton.

Still open to suggestions as to a real fix if anyone has any ideas.

#5 2010-05-06 10:13:00

pennguin

Another my finding is that black screen issue appears only when I'm closing the lid before laptop goes completly to sleep. I think the same is when I suspend it with lid closed. When lid is open during whole suspend everything works as expected.
Looking at acpi_listen I've found that there is event then I'm closing the lid, but nothing for opening, it seems to me that it's buggy bios or something and does not properly react for suspending+closing the lid because it doesn't react neither to vbetool dpms on nor xrandr.

#6 2010-05-18 23:51:53

naphtali

I to have this lid problem. Compaq Presario v2000, up-to-date Arch system, running a custom Tuxonice kernel, with i915 GPU related stuff compiled into the kernel, and not as modules. I have found that if I do not associate any event with the closing of the lid, then suspend and resume works fine. That is, if I associate closing the lid locks the screen in KDE4 , and the system goes into suspend, then I get a black screen on resume. Switching VT's works sometimes, sometimes I have to keep switching to get a login prompt on a VT, other times, no dice! I have found also that if I blindly issue the reboot command or type ctrl-alt-del, the system reboots but comes back up in the same blank state. I then have to shutdown the system, remove power cord, take out the battery for a couple of second, put it back, plug it in, and boot up to a working system. It appears the video power has to be completely remove for it to show anything. Also like I said, if I do not associate any event with the closing of the lid, then suspend and resume works fine. I can suspend from inside KDE, close the lid, and later on open the lid and everything is good. Strange I know....

Board footer